Under the direct supervision of the Program Manager or the Principal Investigator, the Research Program Coordinator is responsible for monitoring the clinical course and collection of research data on patients entered onto research protocols at the Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center and possibly, external institutions.
The Research Program Coordinator is responsible for the organization, entry, maintenance and accuracy of all patient clinical research data in a timely and ongoing manner. These data will be used to generate specific study findings after the data is analyzed.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Maintains good working knowledge of all assigned protocols and reporting requirements. Transmits and distributes protocol information. Responsible for submission, verification, and maintenance of protocol specific information on the SKCCC Research Protocol Library.
2. Maintains regulatory binder for each assigned protocol. With assistance, prepares and submits annual renewal requests, amendments and adverse event reports with clinical input according to IRB and Sponsor requirements. Adheres to all protocol requirements to ensure the validity of the clinical research data.
3. May assist the principal investigator and/or program manager in defining information and plans required to accomplish goals of studies. May help design and create protocol specific data collection forms with assistance.
4. Verifies patient eligibility for studies by comparing patient history and clinical laboratory results with protocol requirements. Confirms patient registrations and relevant data points in databases for the SKCCC Clinical Research Office and Oncology Information Systems.
5. Maintains a research chart for each patient. Collects, enters and compiles clinical data from a variety of sources. Ensures accuracy and timeliness of data so that information may be used by the physician in treatment planning for individual patients, presentations and publication.
6. Verifies scheduling of patient appointments, tests, and followup visits at the appropriate time in the treatment cycle to ensure completion of protocol requirements. May design and compile materials which aid physicians/other staff in complying with protocol requirements for these visits and tests.
7. Meets regularly with Principal Investigator, Research Nurse, and Research Program Manager to review data accuracy and overall study progress. Participates in all mandatory meetings to develop increasing knowledge of assigned clinical trial and Registry requirements.
8. Maintains a protocol database or spreadsheet for tracking patient activity and data submission to internal and/or external registries.
9. Prepares reports on individual patients or the study as required by the principal investigators and/or external agencies. Enters patient demographic and clinical data into institutional database as required. Responds in a timely manner to special projects or queries related to the data.
10. Prepares for and participates in monitoring and audits of studies. Corrects errors in database when necessary.
11. Completes minimum requirement for continuing educational units. Has working knowledge of and complies with Good Clinical Practices, ICH Guidelines and SKCCC Clinical Research Office policies.