The Payroll Director is responsible for the administration, accuracy, and timeliness of the Institute's payroll and directing the daily activities of the payroll staff related to the processing, auditing, analyzing and reporting of the Institute's payroll processing. The role will oversee processing of approximately 1500 full time employees and 500 students. This position coordinates and provides leadership for the Institute payroll including, but not limited to, taxes, garnishments, reconciliations, controls, payroll balancing, check distribution, and time and attendance. This person should also be able to problem solve and manage the department, coaching others and improving overall efficiency. This role will report to the Controller.
- Direct supervision of 4 payroll staff (Assistant Payroll Supervisor, 3 Payroll Specialists) and student workers.
- Oversees the payroll process to ensure all employees are paid accurately and timely. Develops a payroll calendar and coordinates with the appropriate departmental staff to ensure the timely processing of the various weekly, bi-weekly, and semi-monthly payrolls.
- review PAF's received for the accurate and timely payroll processing of all new hires, salary adjustments, reclassifications, promotions, reassignments, terminations and retirements.
- review payroll labor distribution worksheets before transmission.
- review and approve Payroll Journal Entries and make sure that they're reconciled to the ADP payroll register and distribution worksheets.
- Reclass of earnings when needed.
- Liaison between Pratt employees, students and Pratt Community.
- Review all payrolls before transmittal to ADP for completeness and accuracy. Check calculations for hourly payments, deductions are accurate and new hire information and initial payroll payment are correct. Review Payroll Registers and approve Payroll Journal Entries.
- Oversee the student employment payroll to ensure proper communication, accurate and timely payment of worked hours, correct budget charges and journal entries and thorough knowledge of NextGen system for purposes of reconciliation, trouble shooting & resolution of issues and problems.
- Responsible for the accurate calculation of yearly Administrative salary increases, adjustments and deduction changes based on the rate approved by the Board and on the signed contracts of the appropriate Union (Faculty, Clerical, Security and Facilities Management).
- Recommends and assists in developing and implementing new and/or revised policies and procedures to ensure efficient processing of the Institute payroll.
- At fiscal year-end audit and December year-end audit: prepares all required payroll schedules: Accrued Salary payables, Unused Vacation, Reconciliation of total payrolls per GL to ADP and 941 reports, and other payroll related accounts analysis.
- At calendar year end:
- work closely with ADP in the preparation of W2s to insure that all year-end adjustments are included and that the payroll and deduction information are accurate are complete and accurate.
- reconcile W2 reports to the 941s and W3 reports.
- review of printed W2s and timely distribution to staff.
- ensure filing of IRS electronic report, NYS and NYC year-end withholding reports by the due date.
- Ensures timely deposits of related taxes.
- Periodic analysis and reconciliation of general ledger payroll accounts: Payroll accounts receivables, withholding taxes payables, credit union, TIAA annuity, SRA, union dues, medical insurance contributions and all other deductions.
- Oversees the reconciliation of benefit premiums and payroll deductions such as child support orders, garnishments, GTL, short term disability, long term disability, health, dental, life, taxes, and retirement 403b.
- Provides information, assistance and/or training to employees, staff and the Institute community regarding payroll functions; provides technical and procedural assistance to staff and; trains appropriate staff on payroll policies and procedures; answers employee and staff questions during payroll editing and check processing.
- Assists with the preparation of monthly payroll bank reconciliation and makes necessary adjustments.
- Assists with local, state and annual year end audits.
- Implements and maintains necessary procedures for processing payroll for foreign nationals.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor's degree, in business administration, accounting or a related field.
Experience: Minimum of 5 years payroll experience.
Knowledge and Skills: Experience in payroll in higher education. 3 years supervisory experience in general ledger and integrated accounting system. Experience with system implementation a plus. Knowledge of the principles and practices of payroll accounting and applicable laws. Ability to interpret and apply laws, rules, standards and procedures. Demonstrated experience using a personal computer, office software such as MS Office (MS Word, MS Excel and MS Access) and electronic mail. Knowledge of Ellucian Colleague ERP system a plus, and ADP PC and NextGen strongly preferred. Experience with system implementation a plus. Demonstrated experience working effectively with a diverse population; and demonstrated level of cultural competence. Must have the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
Demonstrated ability to:
- Think critically and creatively, have a high standard of integrity, and be motivated to incorporate best practices into the organizational culture.
- Exhibit a thorough knowledge of policies, procedures, and outside regulations pertaining to the position.
- Possess a working knowledge of operational and fiscal analysis techniques.
- Take initiative and independently plan, organize, coordinate and perform work in various situations where numerous and diverse demands are involved.
- Anticipate, investigate, and analyze problems and address them proactively.
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with with all constituencies of the Institute ie, faculty, staff, students and the public.
- Exhibit solid organizational skills and be detail oriented.
- Exercise discretion and good judgment at all times and in all contexts and maintain confidentiality.
- Collect, organize, analyze and present information in a meaningful manner.
- Collaborate and be effective working with diverse populations.
Please submit your cover letter, resume including salary history and requirements, and the names and contact information for three professional references.
PRATT INSTITUTE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND RECOGNIZES AND VALUES THE BENEFITS OF A DIVERSE WORKFORCE