Human Resource Manager
Reports to Chief Financial Officer
ABOUT GADS HILL CENTER:
Established in 1898 as a settlement house serving the Pilsen community, Gads Hill Center has expanded to serve children, youth and families from sites in North Lawndale, Brighton Park, Pilsen and Chicago Lawn, as well as multiple school-based locations. Our formal programs, including early childhood education, comprehensive family support, academic and social-emotional support, school-based mental health and community nutrition education, serve over 4,000 families annually. In addition, the agency reaches over 15,000 individuals annually through one-time community health and fitness events.
The Human Resources Manager is a position within the Department of Finance and reports to the Chief Finance Officer. This position is responsible for setting strategic human resource and administrative direction; providing a perspective on growth and expansion; and supporting and sustaining the culture of Gads Hill Center as a great place to work. The Manager will develop a thorough understanding of the office’s requirements regarding human resources and administrative functions. The Manager will partner with executive management to identify talent gaps and address the needs of departments. The Manager is responsible for full, accurate and equitable administration of all compensation and benefits, and will be responsible for monitoring day-to-day work, supervising the Human Resources Assistant, and closely working with directors and managers.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop and monitor overall HR strategies, systems, policy and procedures across the organization.
- Manage staff recruitment, retention and terminations.
- Manage and oversee the on-boarding process for new employees.
- Maintenance of personnel files and Personnel Actions Forms.
- Benefits administration and staff compensation.
- Counsel and advice to staff on personal and work-related issues including providing guidance and direction to the leadership and management teams, and all employees on human resource related topics.
- Develop, manage and implement personnel policies.
- Consult with legal counsel as appropriate, or as directed by the CFO, on personnel matters.
- Work with staff and management to facilitate staff development and training opportunities.
- Oversee and manage a performance appraisal system that drives high performance and collaborates with supervisors to ensure evaluations are conducted in a timely manner.
- Ensure personnel compliance in accordance with guidelines established by the Department of Children and Family Services (DCFS) and the Department of Family and Support Services (DFSS) for all staff and volunteers.
- Ensure legal compliance by staying up-to-date on workplace law including federal, state, and city regulations and submit all required reporting that applies to the Agency.
- Maintain required and up-to-date federal, state and city information and documentation for employee bulletin board (i.e., FMLA information, Worker’s Compensation information, minimum wage information, etc.).
- Serve as liaison in unemployment compensation actions and worker’s compensation claims, and work with program directors, managers, and coordinators to ensure all incident reports are completed and maintained.
- Oversee the maintenance and accuracy of employee timesheets, processing of semi-monthly payroll, and provide training to staff and supervisors on the time keeping system.
- Establish and maintain department records and reports; maintain Agency’s organization chart.
- Coordinate staff events including all staff meetings.
- Manage and oversee HR Assistant’s work flow and projects.
- Oversee the input of the personnel information for the Department of Family Support Services.
In addition to the responsibilities listed above, all Gads Hill Center employees are responsible for the following:
- Participating in agency outreach and recruitment events, including evenings and weekends.
- Participating in supervision meetings and workshops within the agency and outside (if applicable).
- Performing other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in Human Resources.
- 3-5 years of experience in Human Resources.
- Professional in Human Resources (PHR) Certification preferred.
- In-depth knowledge of labor law and HR best practices.
- Knowledge of and experience with using payroll online processing system.
- Excellent active listening, negotiation, and presentation skills.
- People-oriented and results driven.
- Competence to build and effectively manage interpersonal relationships at all levels of the Agency.
- Ability to architect strategy along with leadership skills.
- Must have ability to maintain confidentiality and manage multiple projects.
- Must be well organized, detailed-oriented and accuracy driven.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office.
- Bilingual in Spanish and English preferred.
- Ability to pass a criminal record and child abuse/neglect register check.
- A passion for the mission of Gads Hill Center.
- Must have a valid Driver’s License, access to reliable transportation and willingness to travel locally.
Salary Range: High 40s
Location: 1919 W. Cullerton St., Chicago, IL 60608
To apply, send resume, cover letter and transcripts by email to:
Ernesto De La Torre
Chief Financial Officer
No phone calls please.