The NEB underwriting manager will direct a team of underwriters responsible for risk evaluation and selection of employee benefit products including group life, AD&D, dental, vision, disability, accident, hospital and critical illness.
This position is located in Columbus, OH and will be responsible for managing workload, processes, procedures, staff authority levels, performance management, training and staff development.
*Minimum 5 years of employee benefits underwriting experience required.
Ideal skills and experience:
- Leadership skills; ability to collaborate and foster positive team environment
- Strong problem solving and decision making skills; ability to formulate and implement creative solutions related to underwriting issues
- Coaching, team development and goal setting
- Ability to analyze and interpret experience and financial reports
- Excellent working knowledge of sound underwriting principles, policies, procedures and controls
- Comprehensive knowledge of employee benefit products
- Knowledge of industry underwriting practices and market trends
- Workflow and process mapping skills
JOB SUMMARY : Plan, organize, direct and control all activities relative to risk selection and processing of new business applications and renewals for group life, disability, dental, special risk and accident and health insurance products for agent, applicant and company with the prime objective to provide superior customer service.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Reports to Director, NSI Underwriting
DIRECT REPORTS: At least three associates report directly to this job.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES :
1. Manages resources to achieve division and departmental objectives, including: - Decision making - Providing direction - Negotiating - Delegating - Promoting flexibility in handling cases requiring exception processing
2. Performs personnel-related management duties, including: - Hiring - Training - Motivating - Evaluating - Pay/Salary Administration - Performance Coaching - Career Development - Administering human resources/personnel policies
3. Establishes, communicates and manages standards of performance by: - Formulating time service and quality standards - Communicating standards internally and externally - Evaluating and communicating results
4. Continues to develop own skills and knowledge in: - Management techniques - Business environment - Applied and conceptual technology - Interpersonal/communication skills - Human resources/personnel policies and procedures
5. Creates strategies to optimize efficient utilization of resources by: - Forecasting long and short term planning - Developing needs analysis for support systems - Establishing criteria and documenting objectives for areas of responsibility
6. Demonstrates fiscal responsibility by: - Managing operating costs - Developing and managing budgets for areas of responsibility - Understanding economic impact of decisions made - Approving disbursements according to Treasury practices and procedures
7. Maintains superior customer relations by: - Participating in industry meetings and forums - Representing Underwriting in corporate planning and projects - Maintaining superior field relations - Developing and nurturing working relationships with peers in other Nationwide organizations - Providing quality and timely service - Advising
8. Manages the hiring, training, and promoting of candidates.
9. Conducts audits of Program partners, MGUs and internal underwriting staff.
10. Recommends and implements revisions in procedures, policy language and rating guidelines within authority.
11. Acquires in depth knowledge of all assigned product line contracts and associated forms.
12. Monitors performance of product lines, recommends needed adjustments and works with account exec to implement, within authority limits.
13. Develops underwriting manuals for assigned product lines.
14. Performs other related duties as assigned.