Director of Finance
Belmont Day School seeks a strategic thinker, responsible for leading the financial, business, and human resources affairs of the school. He/she works with the Head of School and Board Treasurer in establishing fiscal policies and procedures and ensuring achievement of financial objectives. We are looking for an innovative and results-oriented individual skilled at working in a fast-paced environment. The director of finance works closely with the head of school, assistant head, director of operations, and serves as a member of the senior administrative team.
This is a full-time, exempt, and benefit eligible position. It is a twelve-month position and reports directly to the head of school. The position also has reporting relationships with the Board of Trustees; the Finance Committee; the Investment Committee; and the Audit Committee.
- Drives the strategic planning process by developing financial models to achieve overall business objectives in collaboration with the head of school and business manager.
- Leads and establishes guidelines for the budget and forecast preparation. Collaborates and obtains input from all relevant stakeholders.
- Manages and tracks the school’s performance against the approved operating budget. Makes recommendations and adjustments as necessary.
- Develops, implements, and ensures compliance with financial and accounting policies and procedures.
- Oversees the maintenance of the general ledger, accounts payable, accounts receivable and payroll.
- Develops and implements policies and procedures to ensure that personnel and financial information is secure and stored in compliance with current legislation.
- Oversees all payroll functions to ensure that employees are paid in a timely and accurate manner
- Develops strategy for and manages investment, endowment and cash management activities.
- Oversees banking relationships, cash and debt management, and investment of operating cash, reserve funds and endowment all aspects of the Tax-Exempt Bond Issue.
- Oversees the administration of the human resources activities to the school, including but not limited to compliance, policy management, hiring, performance management, and benefits and compensation.
- Collaborates with the tech department to evaluate systems and to adopt industry best practices to streamline and integrate business and financial functions.
- Participates on relevant school committees. Performs data analysis, and prepares and reports on statuses and trends to key constituents. Makes recommendations for improvements.
- Supervises the benefits manager and HR manager. Additionally, fosters and manages relationships with vendors, auditors, etc., hired in support of business operations oversight.
- Engages with students routinely by providing coverage at lunch, recess, and dismissal, or as needed.
- Performs additional responsibilities as required.