| Company Overview:|
At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we’re not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we’re driving excellence and improving outcomes.
For the 27th year, MSK has been named a top hospital for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. We are proud to be on Becker’s Healthcare list as one of the 150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare in 2016, as well as Glassdoor’s annual Employees’ Choice Awards 2017. We’re treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
This core facility provides comprehensive support for the cytogenetic analysis of cells from human and research animal sources. We are currently seeking a Senior Research Technician to provide skilled laboratory support to meet the increasing workload of the core facility and participate in the development/standardization of new tests.
As a Senior Research Technician you will be responsible for:
- Maintaining thorough documentation of samples and day-to-day experiments or laboratory procedures.
- Performing Fluorescence in Situ Hybridization (FISH) and/or immuno-FISH on diverse tissue types including single cell suspension, cytospin spots, paraffin & frozen sections, and tissue microarrays.
- Setting up and maintaining tissue culture of mouse and human embryonic stem cells, established cell lines, solid & liquid tumors for karyotyping and FISH analysis.
- Harvesting and preparing slides for karyotyping using routine banding techniques (primarily DAPI and G-banding).
- Capturing images for Karyotyping and FISH analysis using ASI and MetaSystems imaging systems.
- General laboratory maintenance such as preparing reagents, monitoring of equipment and proper disposal of tissue culture & chemical waste.
Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Biological Sciences, with emphasis on Genetics and at least 1-3 years experience in Cytogenetics or Molecular Cytogenetics. Must have experience in molecular biology techniques (DNA isolation, PCR, DNA labeling). Experience with fluorescence in situ hybridization (FISH) and karyotyping metaphase chromosomes highly preferred.
MSK is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran status or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.