The Hospital for Joint Diseases (HJD) at NYU Langone Medical Center is one of the nation's leading orthopaedic and rheumatologic, specialty hospitals dedicated to the prevention and treatment of musculoskeletal diseases. The hospital provides some of the most advanced orthopaedic programs in the region for musculoskeletal disorders and the largest pediatric orthopaedic program in New York City. HJD is consistently ranked among the leading orthopaedic centers nationwide by U.S. News and World Report. Our expert physicians combine extensive experience and research with the latest technology for bone and joint problems that affect patient's ability to function. We specialize in the following areas: Orthopaedic Surgery Rheumatology Neurology Radiology.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Lead Plumber in the Engineering Department. To qualify a High School Diploma or equivalent required. Minimum of eight (8) years operating and maintaining plumbing and steam distribution systems in a medical facility or similar environment. Must possess certificates of fitness for sprinkler/standpipe and fire pump. Ability to perform duties peculiar to and normally required in the trade of plumber, following accepted procedures of the plumbing trade. Ability to oversee the maintenance and operations of water, gas, steam, oxygen, nitrogen, vacuum, compressed air and drainage systems throughout the hospital. Ability to read and interpret blue prints. The ability to function under stressful situations and conditions, and respond to emergency situations and communicate with all levels of staff.
In this role, the successful candidate under the management of the Facilities Engineering Operations Manager, is responsible for performing the duties peculiar to and normally required in the trade of plumber, following accepted procedures of the plumbing trade. Oversees the maintenance and operations of water, gas, steam, oxygen, nitrogen, vacuum, compressed air and drainage systems throughout the hospital. Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Maintains job completed records. Submits completed house calls and PMRs to Operations Manager and Facility Coordinator for filing and charges. Estimates materials needed and record time and materials needed on each work order and PMR. Performs work directed by manager with competency.
- Works from verbal instructions and is able to read and perform duties from sketches and/or blueprints.
- Operates various tools and machinery. Capable of using electrical snake and hand snake, capable of using plumbing threat machine and cutter. Capable of using acetylene tank and torch. Capable of using wrenches of all sizes.
- Responsible for maintaining plumbing natural and medical gas systems. Has a good knowledge of Medical gas systems, oxygen, med air, vac carbon dioxide, nitrogen, gas vac. and other equipment. Troubleshoots and repairs medical gas outlets. Recognizes all types of gas used in NYUHJD.
- Oversees the maintenance and operation in repairing and replacing components on sterilizers, bed pan washers, tunnel washers, and other sanitizing equipment accurately. Tests components on sterilizers and other sanitizing equipment utilizing testing instruments in an effective manner.
- Inspects all refrigeration systems to determine preventive maintenance, routing and emergency repairs.
- Oversees the maintenance and operations of water, gas, steam, oxygen, nitrogen, vacuum, compressed air and drainage systems throughout the hospital. Inspects all connections and other parts of system for leaks.
- Repairs test troubleshoots and installs steam system and connections for High Pressure System. Repairs and troubleshoots steam traps. Installs pipe components with the proper materials. Handles the low, medium and high-pressure steam with safety precaution. Condensates water systems and vacuum system.
- Inspects, installs, repairs and replaces pipes, fittings and plumbing fixtures to maintain steam, gas systems (natural, clinical and operational) and plumbing systems of the plant. Repairs and maintains piping systems and plumbing fixtures. Inspects all connections and other parts of system for leaks. Replaces defective pipe by cutting, bending, threading and assembling pipes. Solders, brazes and caulks leaks, broken pipes and new installations. Opens clogged drains with plumbers snake or Vacuum plunger. Replaces washers, stems and seats in leaky valves or taps. Repairs or replaces damaged or defective plumbing fixtures, such as sinks, toilets, showers and bathtubs.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the organizations Service Standards and incorporates them into the performance of duties.
The Hospital for Joint Diseases (HJD) at NYU Langone Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view The Hospital for Joint Diseases (HJD) at NYU Langone Medical Center's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal 'EEO is the law' poster or visit http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/poster.cfm for more information.