The Hospital for Joint Diseases (HJD) at NYU Langone Medical Center is one of the nation's leading orthopaedic and rheumatologic, specialty hospitals dedicated to the prevention and treatment of musculoskeletal diseases. The hospital provides some of the most advanced orthopaedic programs in the region for musculoskeletal disorders and the largest pediatric orthopaedic program in New York City. HJD is consistently ranked among the leading orthopaedic centers nationwide by U.S. News and World Report. Our expert physicians combine extensive experience and research with the latest technology for bone and joint problems that affect patient's ability to function. We specialize in the following areas: Orthopaedic Surgery Rheumatology Neurology Radiology
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Patient Care Technician.
In this role, the successful candidate Assists the professional nurse in the care of patients and families by completing assigned patient care tasks; provides competent, safe, and compassionate care with emphasis on an understanding of the challenges faced by hospitalization, undergoing procedures or diagnostic tests; provides support to the unit in the maintenance and safety of supplies, equipment and the environment; demonstrates NYULMC Core Values in all aspects of job performance
- Demonstrates respect for patient confidentiality, privacy, dignity, and rights.
- Demonstrates accountability for supplies, equipment, and environmental support.
- Assists in the collection of data for the units Quality and Performance Improvement Program that includes patient satisfaction and other measures.
- Assists the nurse in the review and corrective action plans regarding patient/family response and satisfaction.
- Recognizes own limitations and requests assistance when needed.
- Discusses educational concerns and goals with the Nurse Manager or appropriate leadership.
- Seeks learning resources for identified learning needs.
- Participates in unit meetings and conferences.
- Participates in the orientation process of other patient care technicians.
- Completes annual mandatory education requirements for patient care technicians.
- Demonstrates an awareness of the needs and behaviors of specific patient age groups and different cultures.
- Assists in emergency situations as directed.
- Assists in supporting unit activities as requested.
- Utilizes specialized skills and safety when carrying out specific tasks of patient care as assigned, including phlebotomy, point of care tests (for example, fingersticks for glucose and pregnancy test), and electrocardiograms.
- Demonstrates understanding of infection prevention and control standards.
- Assists with admission, transfer and discharge procedures per unit / service operations.
- Assists in maintaining safety and comfort needs of patients and families.
- Assists in data collection and activities as assigned.
- Verbally and non-verbally communicates responsiveness and support to patients, families and other staff.
- Observes general behavior and reports same to the registered nurse to whom assigned.
- Provides assistance to patients in the activities.
- Completes delegated responsibilities as directed by the registered nurse.
- Functions as a respectful member of the health care team.
- Uses a clear, caring and respectful communication style with patients and families, nurses and other members of the health care team.
- Answers patients call lights promptly and effectively; completes patient requests for assistance with personal care and activity, and reports those requests not within the role of the patient care technician to the professional nurse assigned to the patient.
- Responds to requests for specific tasks as delegated by any registered professional nurse.
- Reports all observations concerning patients to the professional nurse responsible for the patient on a given shift.
- Maintains cleanliness of the nursing unit as appropriate to position. (i.e., utility room, unit refrigerators, etc.).
- Provides for security of patients personal property, and handles valuables according to hospital procedure.
- Gives direct assistance to all team members, including registered nurses, licensed practical nurses, physicians, nursing attendants, patient unit clerks, escort, dietary and other health care employees.
- Assists in having patient ready for scheduled appointments including placing the patient on a stretcher or in a wheelchair.
- Runs errands to other departments, including but not limited to, the delivery of specimens and equipment.
- Assists in keeping patient environment, patient equipment and patient care areas/units clean, safe and orderly.
- Ensures that necessary equipment and supplies are present in the patient rooms and on the unit.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the NYULMCs Core Values and incorporates them into the performance of duties.
To qualify you must have a Education: High school graduate or equivalent required.Competencies: Working knowledge of English is evident in verbal, reading and writing abilities; other language an asset; demonstrated ability in computer skills; proficiency in venipuncture and phlebotomy required
Experience as a Nursing Attendant for one year within the last two years
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
The Hospital for Joint Diseases (HJD) at NYU Langone Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, military and veteran status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Medical Center's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal 'EEO is the law' poster or visit https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm for more information.