| The Academic Assistant for East Asian Studies and Spanish provides essential support to faculty in a designated department(s). The Academic Assistant is responsible for broad oversight in administering the department including clerical, student support and faculty coordination duties including events and special projects. May perform duties of a sensitive and confidential nature. This position reports to the faculty Department Chair and works under the coordination of the Senior Academic Assistant. May supervise student workers.|
- Provides administrative support overseeing daily operations of the department including purchasing supplies and maintaining inventory, processing purchase orders, maintaining confidential records, assembling course materials, modifying course catalog, and preparing brochures and other department-related tasks. Serves as the department's key coordinator.
- Serves as the main point of contact for operations of the department both internally and externally to the University including relevant policies and procedures. Demonstrates exceptional customer service skills such as tact, professionalism, teamwork and friendliness.
- Coordinates special events for department including symposia, conferences, field trips, performances, etc. Arranges student and guest speaker travel; processes honorariums. Coordinates preparation, setup and logistics for these events/functions.
- Administers the department/unit's budget, including monitoring and tracking expenses for items paid and pending payment, budget reconciliation, resolving issues, and assisting with developing budget projections, collecting information for budget development. Ensures accuracy and compliance with approved budget. Processes purchase orders, check requisitions, and travel advances.
- Arranges and processes payroll records and stipends for students and assistants working for the department.
- Schedules and summarizes confidential student course evaluations (may include proctoring).
- Assists with faculty orientation and office set up. Assists with tenure reviews (and others as necessary to department and college) including, but not limited to, coordination of student and DRC comments.
- Responsible for the administrative support for faculty recruitment search procedures, including online search, travel arrangements and schedules for interviews. Processes all materials (postings, applicant files, etc.) for department searches. Serves as the liaison with Human Resources in searches.
- Plans own workload, prioritizing key tasks, and ensures the appropriate allocation of time and effort to proactively achieve the required results while working independently.
- Supports accreditation and assessment reviews.
- Performs all duties and responsibilities using current processes, applications, and technology.
Specific Duties for East Asian Studies:
- Provides administrative support for the National Consortium for Teaching about Asia Seminar
- Coordinates arrangements for 4 foreign language teaching assistants each year (contracts, housing-including inventory and purchase of all room necessities, room preparation, payroll, admissions, International Student Services, etc.). Collates orientation training packets for all 22 language teaching assistants (East Asian Studies, Languages, Cultures & Linguistics & Spanish).
- Interacts frequently with international faculty, students, and guests, which requires cultural awareness.
Specific Duties for Spanish:
- Assists administering the placement exam throughout the year
- Coordinates arrangements for 4 international teaching assistants each year (contracts, housing-including inventory and purchase of all room necessities, payroll, admissions, International Student Services, etc.) Participate in FLTA orientation training.
- Assists faculty members, as needed, with Bucknell programs abroad, such as Bucknell en Espaa,
- Interacts often with international faculty/students/guests, which requires cultural awareness.
- High school diploma/GED and two to three years of administrative/office experience
- Computer and software knowledge including word processing, spreadsheet, email and calendaring applications
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Exceptional customer service skills, strong attention to detail and ability to prioritize deadlines and successfully manage multiple priorities
- Ability to handle sensitive confidential information in a responsible and appropriate manner
- Proactive approach to projects, problem solving, communication needs, and planning
- Must be able to work independently as well as in a team environment
- Demonstrated ability to positively interact with a wide range of individuals and a commitment to diversity and inclusiveness
- Ability to adapt to the ever-changing needs of an educational environment (new technology, policies, personnel, procedures, etc.) including the willingness to develop and apply new skills
- Basic knowledge of Spanish
- Ability to lift and carry up to 25 lbs
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position for extended periods of time. Sit at computer and use mouse and keyboard for long periods of time.
- Must be able to move about the office to access file cabinets and office machinery such as copiers and printers.
- Work in a demanding environment with multiple competing deadlines and frequent interruptions.
Bucknell University provides equal opportunity without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, marital status, veteran status or disability in admissions, employment and in all of its educational programs and activities.
Bucknell University believes that students learn best in a diverse, inclusive community and is therefore committed to academic excellence through diversity in its faculty, staff, and students. We seek candidates who are committed to Bucknell's efforts to create a climate that fosters the growth and development of a diverse student body, and we welcome applications from members of groups that have been historically underrepresented in higher education. Bucknell University is a private, highly ranked, national liberal arts institution that also offers strong professional programs in engineering, business, education, and music. Located in Central Pennsylvania along the Susquehanna River, Bucknell is nestled in the Borough of Lewisburg, an architectural gem that has been ranked as one of America's best small towns.
Bucknell is a NCAA Division I (FCS) and Patriot League member institution, that sponsors 27 varsity athletics programs.