Providing the foundation for a lifelong engagement with music…
Founded in 1931, the Music Institute of Chicago (MIC) is dedicated to transforming lives through music education. We believe that enjoying and understanding music, and developing the skills to create and perform music, enhance the quality of life and nourish the human spirit. More than entertainment or ambient sound, music is a vehicle for understanding, communicating, and self-improvement, as intrinsic to the human experience as language. Through joyful music learning, listening and playing, MIC students make themselves better and better able to contribute to the world. We are conveniently located in downtown Evanston, near public transportation (Metra and CTA) and parking.
Under the direction of the Vice President and Chief Financial Officer (CFO), the part-time Accounting Manager is responsible for the general accounting functions of the institution. The position requires a weekly work schedule of 20-25 hours. Candidate may choose the regular 3 day schedule within the normal Monday-Friday, 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. work schedule. In particular, the Accounting Manager will:
- Perform ongoing accounting functions, including balancing detail and general ledgers, bank reconciliations, month-end account analysis and reconciliations, etc.
- Analyze various accounts and make appropriate journal entries.
- Actively participate in month-end close activities, including the preparation and review of journal entries and review monthly reconciliations of assigned balance sheet accounts and ensure general ledger accounts are reconciled with resolution to reconciling items
- Reconcile general ledgers, post journal entries, and assist with the preparation of financial statements.
- Ensure revenue is properly recognized on a weekly/monthly basis and identify and resolve variances
- Assist CFO with collection and analysis of data to generate reports on performance-related issues.
- Assist CFO in the preparation and distribution of month-end financial statements.
- Assist CFO in the preparation of annual budgets and compare actual against plan.
- Prepare internal materials for the annual audit, state and federal filings, and other annual or periodic reports.
- Provide back-up support for the tasks of the Accounting Associate, including A/P, Cash deposits, A/P coding and data entry.
- Perform ad hoc projects/tasks as requested by the CFO