The community support specialist at Thresholds Grais Apartments will be responsible for working on a clinical team that provides integrated mental health and substance use services to people with histories of homelessness, severe mental illness and co-occurring substance use disorders. The work setting is a 44-unit permanent supported housing program located in the Rogers Park neighborhood of Chicago. The program strives to tailor services to meet people according to their level of readiness to make positive life changes, in the context of a recovery community that includes a) individual and group services rooted in evidence-based practices (i.e., motivational interviewing, cognitive behavioral therapy, harm reduction, relapse prevention therapy, medication assisted treatment), b) peer support and mutual aid group facilitation, c) opportunities for pursuing employment, educational, and other meaningful goals, and d) sustaining affordable and long-term housing.
The position requires a Sunday – Thursday or Tuesday – Saturday work week schedule.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides direct service to members through group counseling/therapy, case management, job support, crisis intervention, and psycho-social rehabilitation services either in the community or on site at a Thresholds location.
- Under the direct supervision of a QMHP or LPHA, gathers member information and assesses the need for service, makes recommendations for treatment, identifies and investigates existing natural resources and supports, explains options available to the member and assists in the application process.
- Identifies risk factors related to the relapse and development of relapse prevention plans and strategies.
- Develops and reviews members’ Individual Treatment Plans (ITP).This requires face to face meetings with member or guardian to identify goals, objectives, specific mental health services needed, and identification of staff responsible for delivering the services.
- Teaches members independent and community living skills, such as housekeeping, shopping, meal preparation and personal hygiene as well as the development of functional, interpersonal, support system and coping skills.
- Provides support to members with collateral sources, including other agencies, Social Security Administration, medical providers, Chicago Housing Authority, etc.Advocates and assists with problem solving/resolution that will help the member access and utilize support from the community or support system.
- Performs comprehensive member assessments, with the team and team leader, in order to identify the member’s mental health service needs and to make recommendations for treatment.
- Supports and promotes member self-advocacy and participation in decision making, treatment and treatment planning.
- Ensures that the Thresholds Service Plan addresses the member’s needs and includes objectives and techniques for accomplishing each goal.
- Works cooperatively with inpatient hospital staff, keeping logs and other records of all contacts as required by agency practice.Performs and participates in crisis intervention when necessary.
- Monitors Self Administration of Medication. This includes all procedures associated with the documentation of medication monitoring of self-administration in keeping with Thresholds standards, as well as procedures to follow in the event that there is any disruption to the medication schedule.
- May be required to communicate significant information regarding members to other staff or leadership through the staff log. Provides accurate and timely information to your supervisor on all topics and issues related to the operation of the agency and the well-being of members.
- Assures that all Thresholds procedures regarding the handling of member’s funds are followed and that both the members and the Thresholds administration are assured that all safeguards, reports and accounting meets the highest standards.
- Meets required billing targets and completes all documentation within assigned time frames.
MARGINAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Participates in the implementation of Thresholds’ emergency plans related to extreme weather or other emergency condition.
- May be required to work flexible schedules and be available to work on weekends or evenings as required.May be required to be on call.