| ORGANIZATION |
Founded in 2006, STRIVE Preparatory Schools (STRIVE Prep) is a Denver-based community of free, open enrollment, public charter schools committed to providing every student with an excellent college-preparatory education. STRIVE Prep believes that students from all backgrounds deserve a college preparatory education regardless of race, economic circumstance, or previous academic achievement. Serving primarily students of color and those that qualify for free/reduced lunch, as well as a high population of English Language Learners, STRIVE Prep is committed to preparing all students for educational success from kindergarten through college and career. Scholars at STRIVE far outperform their peers in academic performance and college readiness as they are challenged to realize their full potential through high expectations in a safe, rigorous, and compassionate learning environment with shared accountability among students, families and staff.
With 11 schools serving 3,500 students, STRIVE Prep seeks to clear a path for all families to have access to a high-quality school that’s just down the street, not across town. By building great schools in Far Northeast, Northwest and Southwest Denver, STRIVE will create depth of impact and long-lasting community change. For more information, visit www.striveprep.org.
STRIVE Prep - SMART Academy (Science, Math and Art) opened its doors in the fall of 2012 as the first high school in the STRIVE Prep network. All STRIVE Prep - SMART leaders, scholars and families commit to ensuring that scholars attain an excellent education on the path toward college completion, and formalize that commitment with SMART’s Commitment to College Completion Contract.
In keeping with STRIVE Prep’s promise to families, 92% of scholars at SMART Academy graduate with an acceptance to a four year college or university. SMART students also participate in a wide array of extracurriculars that cultivate their talents and leadership, including robust service learning opportunities with local community organizations. In the past few years, SMART has undergone a couple of major transitions with the departure of its founding principal and significant changes to its operational structure. Its next phase of growth will focus on re-establishing a strong and stable foundation for its students to thrive in high school, college, and beyond.
SMART Academy’s next principal will be an inspiring visionary, strong instructional coach, and excellent manager of resources that will leverage SMART’s exceptionally strong community culture to drive toward excellent academic and college/career success results for students.
RESPONSIBLITIES The principal will be primarily responsible for:
- Outstanding Curriculum: Implementation of a rigorous, comprehensive, and standards-based curriculum.
- Leadership Cultivation: Support, coaching, and cultivation of all campus-based leaders, including assistant principals, teachers, and instructional support staff to grow in their capabilities.
- Exceptional Talent: Partnership with the network team to recruit, select, and retain high quality teachers and staff.
- Student Achievement: Execution of a rigorous system for student assessment, data tracking, and appropriate student interventions.
- Transformative School Community: Creation and sustaining of rituals, systems, and structures that prioritize and promote college preparation.
- High Expectations: Design and execution of an age-appropriate, school-wide system to support student conduct and discipline.
- Change Management: Determine and effectively implement change measures that accomplish drastically improved results for students.
- Rich Student Experience: Execution of a comprehensive plan for extracurricular activities, including sports, arts, and other areas of interest.
- Inclusion: Ensuring a welcoming, safe and inclusive environment for all students and staff, regardless of race, ethnicity, gender, sexual preference or ability.
- Students and Families: Ensuring high levels of student attendance, excellent parent satisfaction, and high parent participation.
- Local Community: Engagement of external partners to add value to students’ experience of the school, especially in relation to extracurriculars.
QUALIFICATIONS The ideal principal candidate will:
What STRIVE Prep offers its Administrators:
- Have transformed the lives of underserved high school scholars by leading a school centered around data-driven instruction that has achieved substantial student achievement gains.
- Be an experienced educator with at least 3 years of teaching experience and a minimum of 1 year of instructional coaching.
- Hold at least a Bachelor’s degree, with an advanced degree preferred.
- Speak Spanish and/or have experience working with ELL/bilingual students.
- Build relationships and communicate effectively with students, teachers, and families.
- Dedicate themselves to the educational success of ALL students.
- Bring enthusiasm, professionalism and optimism to their classrooms, their team, and STRIVE Prep’s broader community.
- Commit to high expectations for themselves and others with a willingness to have courageous conversations in service of students.
- Approach challenges with persistence, positivity and a sense of humor.