PROGRAM MANAGER, DESIGN DIVISION
California College of the Arts
SAN FRANCISCO CAMPUS
ABOUT CALIFORNIA COLLEGE OF THE ARTS
Founded in 1907, California College of the Arts (CCA) is an independent non-profit art college with undergraduate programs in architecture, design, fine arts, visual studies, and writing. The college also has graduate programs in architecture, curatorial practice, design, design strategy, film, fine arts, interaction design, visual and critical studies and writing. Through these programs, the college has created a dynamic and interdisciplinary environment to fulfill the school's motto of "Make art that matters." Diverse cultural perspectives enrich the CCA community and the college believes that continuing to expand the horizons of the students and faculty is essential to achieving its educational objectives. With campuses in Oakland and San Francisco, CCA currently enrolls 1,950 full-time students.
Under the supervision of the Assistant Director of Design, the program manager will work directly with program chairs to coordinate academic operations for the undergraduate and graduate design programs at CCA. In addition, the program manager will provide administrative and project support to the Dean and Assistant Director. Direct academic program assignments may change throughout the term of this position based on divisional needs.
The Design Division at the California College of the Arts hosts 9 undergraduate and graduate programs that prepare students to be purposeful shapers of everyday life. Undergraduate programs include fashion, furniture, graphic design, illustration, industrial design, and interaction design. Graduate programs include MBA in Design Strategy, MFA in Design, and Masters in Design (MDes). As makers of meaning, creators of value, and stagers of experience, designers begin by asking questions. At CCA, these questions do not merely guide a response to existing conditions. They frame an understanding of the ways in which design helps to produce the contexts in which it operates.
Whether working in teams or side by side, design students learn from each other in an atmosphere of respect and support. While at CCA, they win recognition in publications, exhibitions, and competitions sponsored by major professional associations. As graduates, they join leading firms and establish their own innovative practices. The Design faculty at CCA includes nationally and internationally renowned practitioners who bring their passion and experience to the classroom. Through their teaching, faculty expose students to the hands-on inquiry and conceptual daring that drive their own inspiring careers. Guest lecturers and visiting designers give students access to diverse models of critical and professional practice.
SUMMARY OF JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
The program manager works as the operational manager of the academic programs as well as main staff interface for the program to the rest of the college and partners. The responsibilities include:
- Assist the chairs and assistant director in the planning, preparing, reviewing, and updating of the program course schedule; work with the scheduling manager and/or scheduling software to ensure accurate course and event scheduling
- Assist the assistant director in processing new faculty hiring paperwork, monitoring teaching assignments, and updating the course schedule accordingly
- Help define and maintain program budgets; process purchase orders, reimbursement requests, and payments to faculty/visiting artists; follow up as needed
- Order office supplies, event materials, and equipment for class instruction and other curricular-lead programming
- Manage work-study and/or teaching assistant (TA) staff, including job definition, hiring, and supervision
- Assist the faculty internship coordinator with the administration of the undergraduate internship class; responsibilities include using Salesforce to update student and employer records and tracking progress of a student's internship
- Provide a consistent on-campus presence for the design programs, as well as handle written and verbal communications on behalf of the programs as appropriate, including answering and screening phone calls, emails, and in-person inquires. Update student/faculty listservs accordingly, and provide timely follow through on questions and requests
- Manage resources for the undergraduate and graduate design studios; student workstudy support can be acquired if necessary
- Act as primary contact/staff point-person for design faculty and students, as well as for other college departments and outside entities
- Maintain thorough knowledge of college policies and procedures as related to the effective management of the program(s)
- Coordinate external reviews as assigned by the Director of Learning Assessment and Accreditation; responsibilities include updating VAULT archives, scheduling/accommodating the travel of the reviewers, making room reservations, participating in any related planning meetings, etc.
- Administratively support curricular reviews (specifically junior review, senior review, and senior thesis show); responsibilities include acquiring space, ordering materials/supplies, facilitating catering orders, sending invitations/communications, and arranging for compensation
- Lead the planning and execution of signature events such as guest lecture series, visiting artists, workshops, and exhibitions
- Manage the implementation of sponsored studios; responsibilities include ordering supplies and materials for students/instructors, processing payment for independent contractors and faculty
- Work with chair(s) to organize and schedule program faculty meetings
- Must have experience (3-5 years) in office and/or project management, event planning, and administrative oversight
- A bachelor degree or equivalent, and experience in a non-profit or educational work environment
- Self-directed, self-motivated, proactive, and able to work without close supervision
- Proficiency in budget management, preferred
- Highly organized, efficient, with an ability to manage multiple administrative responsibilities and meet deadlines under pressure
- Strong professional and writing ability
- Capable of working collegially as a member of an integrated office team.
- Capable of working collaboratively with faculty, staff, and students at the college
- Able to communicate effectively and interact skillfully with diverse individuals from all levels of the college and external community
- Intermediate or higher skill with Google applications and Microsoft suite is a must.
- Experience using Datatel Colleague or similar ERP software, Adobe suite, preferred
- This position is an office-based position and as such, requires the incumbent to work at a desk 50% of the time. The incumbent is expected to occasionally move about the office space to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc. and constantly operates a computer and other office machinery, such as a copy machine and computer printer. Must be able to lift up to 20 pounds.
Assistant Director of Design
Applicants are requested to state salary history and requirements; position includes a comprehensive benefits package.
Interested candidates should submit the following in a PDF format via The CCA Website. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Detailed cover letter, stating your specific interest in the position
Curriculum vitae (CV) or resume
If you have any further questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Screening of applications is on a rolling basis.
As an educational and cultural institution, California College of the Arts has a responsibility to provide access and opportunities for all people, with special attention to supporting groups historically underrepresented in higher education. We believe that a culturally diverse campus is integral to academic excellence, and our student, faculty, staff, and trustee bodies should reflect the diverse world in which we live, with attention to race, ethnicity, religious creed, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, and ability. California College of the Arts is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from individuals who will contribute to its diversity
Please address any questions to email@example.com.
Copyright 2015 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency