| The Department of Laboratory Medicine serves as a regional resource for clinical laboratory services required for patient care, research and educational programs in laboratory medicine. The department now employs 900 people who work at the award-winning University of Washington Medical Center (ranked among the top medical centers in the United States as rated by U.S. News & World Report), Harborview Medical Center (the region's only Level I Trauma center, known for innovations and excellence in trauma care and its centers of emphasis: Trauma, Burn, Neurosciences, AIDS/STD CARER, and mentally- and medically- vulnerable populations.), and many other clinical and research facilities in the area. The University of Washington (UW) is proud to be one of the nation's premier educational and research institutions. Our people are the most important asset in our pursuit of achieving excellence in education, research, and community service. Our staff not only enjoys outstanding benefits and professional growth opportunities, but also an environment noted for diversity, community involvement, intellectual excitement and natural beauty. |
Harborview Medical Center - Laboratory Medicine has an outstanding opportunity for a MEDICAL LABORATORY SCIENTIST 2 (MLS). The person in this role exercises independent decision making with designated authority providing advice and expertise to Medical Laboratory Scientists, Medical Laboratory Scientist Trainees and Clinical Laboratory Technicians. The MLS will assist manager and Leads in coordinating educational programs for staff and students and provide feedback on employee performance.
This individual regularly assign, instruct, and check the work of others; perform routine laboratory tests; and/ or is routinely assigned special projects that contribute to the development of new processes and procedures of the laboratory.
- Perform all the duties of Medical Laboratory Scientist 1.
- Recognize, troubleshoot, correct, and document problems associated with patient testing, quality control, and preventative maintenance.
- Assist in instruction and training of employees, post-doctoral fellows, residents, medical students, medical technology students, etc. Provide evaluation feedback in a timely manner.
- Participate in continuing education activities, e.g., Plate Rounds, CAP online education, reading job-related journal articles, etc.
- Assist in the development and evaluation of new procedures/processes and assesses the relevance and accuracy of current procedures/processes.
- Review the work of staff to insure reports are correct and clinically relevant. Insure corrected reports are issued ASAP and timely corrective actions are taken and documented. Consult with healthcare providers concerning critical or abnormal findings.
- Utilize information management systems to accession, status, verify, and reject orders. Correctly input test results using the laboratory information system.
- Assure that critical values, STAT results, courtesy notifications, and routine results are reported according to established protocols, ensuring turn-around-times are consistently within guidelines and documentation is complete.
- Assure quality control standards and competencies are met and documented; assure preventative maintenance is performed according to established protocols assisting staff as needed. Troubleshoot methods and instrumentation.
- Provide daily leadership as designated. Assist with the daily operations of staff to include: the management of workload, providing timely technical assistance to staff and clients, responding to inquiries and complaints, insuring safety compliance, minimizing overtime, etc.
- Assist in the development and evaluation of new processes and/or procedures and participates in improving current processes.
- Provide administrative assistance to include: interviewing and selecting new employees, evaluating employees, documenting staff competencies, recommending cost containment strategies, etc. Additional tasks that may be assigned include: scheduling, purchasing supplies, quality improvement projects, and others as needed.
- Performs related duties as required.