About Virginia Tech:
Virginia Tech is a public land-grant university, committed to teaching and learning, research, and outreach to the Commonwealth of Virginia, the nation, and the world. Building on its motto of Ut Prosim (that I may serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to InclusiveVT—serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. We seek candidates who adopt and practice the Principles of Community, which are fundamental to our on-going efforts to increase access and inclusion, and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth for all of its members. Virginia Tech actively seeks a broad spectrum of candidates to join our community in preparing leaders for the world.
Systems Analyst assists in daily operations of Banner processes such as supporting applicants, awarding information, and student notification. This position generates reports based on requirement from Processing and Client Services as needed, assists in troubleshooting all system-related processing problems and provides resolution, provides testing and feedback of new and updated processes and reports, and assists in ensuring system compliance and data integrity. Develops financial aid training materials and provides system training for users within the Financial Aid department, creates and maintains documentation for all processes, implemented and theorized, and performs other duties, as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, information management or related field or equivalent level of training and/or experience.
- Knowledge such as Oracle database structure and Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access).
- Experience in writing simple to complex SQL's, Object-oriented programming, HTML, or PHP.
- Demonstrated ability to develop automated reports for data retrieval and analysis and familiarity with report-writing programs and integration with MS products.
- Excellent functional and technical documentation skills.
- Must be able to work collaboratively with Financial Aid staff, IT staff, and other departments to resolve programmatic issues, implementation of Banner system enhancements, and establish production schedules.
- Strong attention to detail to verify that reports created and stored are correct and updated when Banner upgrades or modifications are made that affect data parameters in the reports.
- Ability to meet competing deadlines while maintaining compliance.
- Must be able to generate timely letters and e-mail messages to students regarding missing information, award notifications, satisfactory academic progress, and consumer information, in accordance with federal regulations.
- Ability to effectively communicate with external parties to resolve design and operational issues as may arise with complex software systems.
- Ability to handle a large volume of work and effectively multi-task in a deadline oriented environment.
- Ability to effectively communicate with technical and non-technical personnel.
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Experience with Oracle-based systems such as BANNER.
- Knowledge of financial aid regulations and procedures.
- Experience developing and maintaining clear and concise procedural and problem solving documentation.
- Knowledge of and ability to apply federal regulations governing student financial aid.
- University experience in financial aid and/or administrative information systems.
Employee Category: Staff (Salary)
Appointment Type: Regular
Percent Employment: Full-time
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, or veteran status; or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees, or applicants; or any other basis protected by law.
For inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies, contact the executive director for Equity and Access at 540-231-2010 or Virginia Tech, North End Center, Suite 2300 (0318), 300 Turner St. NW, Blacksburg, VA 24061.
Review Date: 03/15/2017