About Virginia Tech:
Virginia Tech, founded in 1872 as a land-grant institution, is currently ranked as a Top 25 Public University by US News & World Report and a Top 25 Public Research University by the National Science Foundation. Through a combination of its three missions of learning, discovery, and engagement, Virginia Tech continually strives to accomplish the charge of its motto: Ut Prosim (That I May Serve). As the Commonwealth's most comprehensive university and its leading research institution, Virginia Tech serves a diverse population of 30,000+ students and 8000+ faculty and staff from over 100 countries, and is engaged in research around the world. Invent the Future at Virginia Tech.
The SysOps Engineer provides information technology support and administration for the Virginia Cyber Range and reports to the Network Architect. The successful candidate will have demonstrated knowledge and experience working with all aspects of system and networking administration, including but not limited to provisioning, installation/configuring, operation, and maintenance of both the systems and application stacks on infrastructure in a cloud-based environment. The SysOps Engineer will be primarily responsible for executing, testing, and rolling-out solutions to support the infrastructure of the Virginia Cyber Range, as well as infrastructure for individual exercises and scenarios in the Cloud. The SysOps Engineer is responsible for user account management and device management within the infrastructure, in addition to other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in STEM field from accredited college or university and/or equivalent training and experience.
- Working knowledge in Cloud IaaS provider based environments.
- Working knowledge of deploying; managing; and operating scalable; highly available; and fault tolerant systems
- Extensive experience with implementing and controlling the flow of data to and from a Cloud IaaS provider
- Significant systems administration experience in *Nix and Windows enterprise platforms.
- Experience with life-cycle management, systems health and security monitoring to identify system failures, bottleneck, or intrusions in Cloud based IaaS provided infrastructure.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent customer service skills with the ability to simplify complex IT related terms and concepts.
- Ability to work independently and exercise confidentiality, good judgment and critical thinking when working with sensitive issues.
- Ability to work independently and achieve objectives on complex projects running simultaneously and complete projects by required due dates.
- Extensive SysOps level experience in Amazon AWS
- High-level understanding of Amazon AWS services and offerings
- Identifying appropriate use of AWS operational best practices
- Estimating AWS usage costs and identifying operational cost control mechanisms
- Working knowledge and extensive experience with configuation management tools such as Ansible, Salt, Puppet, Chef etc.
- Auditing or functional experience with Oracle, MySQL, Postgres, MSSQL databases.
- Significant system administration or audit experience in higher education.
- Strong background in network troubleshooting and packet analysis.
- Experience with regulatory and legislative authorities including but not limited to CJIS, HIPAA, PCI, PII, CIPA and FERPA.
Employee Category: Administrative and Professional Faculty
Appointment Type: Restricted
Tenure Status: Non-Tenure Track
Percent Employment: Full-time
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, or veteran status; or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees, or applicants; or any other basis protected by law.
For inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies, contact the executive director for Equity and Access at 540-231-2010 or Virginia Tech, North End Center, Suite 2300 (0318), 300 Turner St. NW, Blacksburg, VA 24061.
Review Date: 03/17/2017