AltSchool’s mission is to enable all children to reach their full potential. We are a public benefit corporation and a Certified B Corporation, bringing together a unique partnership of educators, engineers and researchers to create a proprietary learning platform guided by the most comprehensive body of current educational research. AltSchool’s platform is designed to empower schools everywhere to offer personalized, whole-child learning for each student, and to enable teachers to truly understand each child—both deep and wide—so they can develop and deliver a personalized curriculum that helps each child thrive.
Headquartered in San Francisco, AltSchool currently operates a network of eight schools in California and New York, which serve as learning labs for ongoing research and development. Starting fall 2017, that network of schools will expand to include the first cohort of pilot partner schools using the AltSchool platform of products and services. We are backed by many key investors including Founders Fund, Andreessen Horowitz, Mark Zuckerberg & Priscilla Chan’s donor-advised fund at the Silicon Valley Community Foundation, who are committed to help achieve the goal of making the best education, the most accessible.
Key to the Learning Designer’s (LD-STEM) role is the responsibility to deeply collaborate with the central pedagogy team and our network schools to ensure our work at AltSchool continues to place the learner in the center of our school environments. As a discipline-based specialist in math and science, it is essential that the LD-STEM develop relationships with educators through in-person learning reflections and through the consistent use of data to help provide insights into the individual learning needs of students. They act as key mentors for educators, supporting them with the resources that lend to a continuity of quality across a learner’s experience over time and reinforce student agency and academic progress in a personalized learning environment.
This role will be a part of the Central Pedagogy team and will report to the VP, Pedagogy.
- Become an expert in AltSchool’s education model, practices and tools
- Establish curriculum coherence through research, pilots, benchmarking and analysis of AltSchool programming
- Support collaborative planning and instructional strategies that best serve project-based learning across TK- 8 learning environments
- Support STEM integration across disciplines
- Lead network efforts to maintain a deep understanding of STEM best practices and ensure quality assessment design
- Respond to diverse educator needs empathetically to support and train educators in implementing strong curricular and instructional practices
- Proactively seek + share opportunities for improved curricular and instructional practices