Escuela Bilingüe Internacional (EBI) is an independent co-educational day school located in the Rockridge neighborhood of Oakland and Triangle neighborhood of Emeryville, of the San Francisco Bay Area. The school offers a Spanish-English dual language program, extending from Pre-Kindergarten through 8th Grade. EBI opened its doors in September 2006, with Pre-Kinder and Kindergarten. The school anticipates an enrollment of 395 students for the 2017-2018 school year.
EBI’s progressive education program is based on a child-centered, constructivist, inquiry-based approach. EBI is authorized by the International Baccalaureate (IB) to offer the Primary Years Programme (PYP) and is an IB Middle Years Programme (MYP) candidate school.
The community of EBI, including the faculty and staff, is a unique and valuable asset to the school. It is with this in mind that, in addition to specific responsibilities, it is essential that all EBI employees demonstrate the following:
- Personal alignment with EBI and IB missions;
- Value for bilingualism, educational excellence, diversity, international mindedness and the cultivation of character;
- Enjoyment working in a diverse, international and collaborative school environment;
- Effective listening, speaking, writing and presenting skills in Spanish and/or English, as required;
- A positive attitude and a deep sense of professionalism.
The Director of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is a new position at Escuela Bilingüe Internacional and the person in this role will coordinate and support the school’s multi-faceted work connected to these areas. The Director of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion will partner with students, faculty, staff, families and board members to nurture and strengthen a diverse, equitable and inclusive learning community that reflects the values and mission of the EBI community. In short, we seek a leader with the creativity, courage, empathy, and wisdom to build on the very good work already being done, envision what is possible and champion change throughout the organization. The Director of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion serves on the Senior Leadership Team and reports to the Head of School.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Ability to develop relevant short and long-term DEI Strategic Goals with meaningful and measurable outcomes
- Experience in learning environments with knowledge of pedagogy, curriculum, and child and adolescent development
- Demonstrated experience collaborating to build innovative and transformational community partnerships
- Strong experience as a presenter and professional development leader
- Experience as a coordinator and advocate for both family (student/parent) and faculty/staff groups
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Leadership
- Demonstrated ability to create systems and networks that support being deep awareness of emerging organizational and community needs and issues
- Demonstrated experience and sustained results stewarding an inclusive, culturally relevant learning community, in and outside of the classroom
- An ability to inspire ongoing open, productive and solution-based conversations within a school community centered on promoting diversity, equity and inclusion
- Strong familiarity with current research, data acquisition and analysis, and successful implementation of strategies currently shaping DEI work in independent school
- Provide leadership and expertise to support the recruitment, development and retention of diverse community of families and employees at EBI
- Ability to provide thought leadership on DEI best practices and principles relevant to the EBI community of today and tomorrow
- Management Proficiency
- Ability to seek consensus and design processes that are transparent, clear and efficient
- Proven success leading teams to deliver against strategic goals and initiatives in both the short and long term