Upper School Assistant Librarian
Gill St. Bernard’s School, an independent, nonsectarian, college preparatory day school for students Pre-Kindergarten through Grade 12, in Gladstone, New Jersey, announces a search for a full-time Assistant Librarian beginning August 15, 2017
The Assistant Librarian should be a service-oriented educator who will join our community. The applicant must be comfortable with technology, Microsoft office platforms, and library circulation systems. Patron services are a large part of the job, and the ability to multitask and problem-solve research/reading requests and technology issues are a must. This position includes clerical work, circulation desk duties, and basic library operational tasks. Applicants must show a willingness to learn about all the print and electronic features of our library and assist patrons with library apps, research databases, search strategies, etc.
The library assistant will:
- Help students and faculty access materials through the use of the catalog, LibGuides, and databases.
- Be the general go-to person at the Circulation Desk for faculty, students, and parents.
- Check materials in and out, shelve books and magazines, and covering/process new materials.
- Manage periodicals renewals.
- Supervise the library during the day and after school.
- Assist faculty and students with InterLibrary Loan.
- Assist librarian in preparing and copying teaching and promotional materials.
- Order library supplies.
- Maintain and create LibGuides pages (library website).
- Assist with displays and special projects.
- Troubleshoot printers.
- In conjunction with the librarian and teachers, teach research skills for specific class projects.
The Matthews Family Library is a vibrant space that serves as a hub and resource for both upper school students and faculty. Students visit the library for in-class research projects and individual research assistance, for quiet study and group work, to browse the fiction new arrivals and check out a book for English class, to print papers and use the 3D printer.
Interested candidates should send their resume, cover letter and contact information for three references to Meredith Swenson, Assistant to the Upper School Director, Gill St. Bernard's School, P.O. Box 604, Gladstone, NJ 07934 or via email to email@example.com.