An independent, coeducational college-preparatory school in Pasadena, CA, Polytechnic School offers a broad curriculum in the liberal arts for students in kindergarten through grade 12. Founded in 1907, the school enrolls approximately 860 students from diverse ethnic, racial, religious, and economic backgrounds.
The mission of Polytechnic School is to develop the intellect, talents, and character of each student in a community of learning dedicated to principles of academic excellence that values the uniqueness and dignity of each member and fosters personal responsibility and service to others. We are committed to honesty, justice, charity, and the pursuit of knowledge. We respect the dignity and worth of all human beings—their thoughts, their feelings, and their individuality. We seek to celebrate the joy, the love, and the creativity that emanate from the human spirit. We strive to be responsible and contributing members of our families, our school community, and the world. The Poly community appreciates the cultural, ethnic, and economic diversity present in the Pasadena area and strives to reflect it. Members of the Poly community appreciate and learn from individual differences, foster the ability to disagree with civility, and embody courtesy and compassion.
Position: Full-time Upper School Dean of Instruction
Polytechnic School is seeking an enthusiastic, flexible, and student-centered educator to serve as the Upper School dean of instruction. In collaboration with the US director and the rest of the US leadership team, the dean will guide the Upper School faculty in their mission-driven work around teaching and will support the academic life and social/emotional experience of the Upper School students. The dean will report to the Upper School Director.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Guide and oversee the Upper School curriculum with a vision towards exceptional and innovative teaching and learning through partnership with department chairs and program directors
- Support and promote the development of diverse and inclusive curricula and teaching practices that support all students
- Provide faculty/staff education and professional development in cultural competency
- Develop student leadership and education in diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Collaborate with faculty to create and implement pedagogical, diversity, and inclusion goals
- Advise all stakeholders regarding the goals and challenges of instructional design and innovation
- Teach a class
- Serve as an Upper School advisor
- Embrace committee work as needed (Admissions, Schedule, Hiring, Advisory)
- Fulfill other duties as assigned by the Upper School director
- BA/BS degree. Advanced degree(s) preferred
- At least five to eight years of teaching experience upholding high standards and offering significant student support
- Experience innovating in teaching, evaluating the effectiveness, and adapting the approach accordingly
- Experience engaging in work with teachers and students around multiculturalism and inclusivity
- Ability to teach different subjects and levels within a department and a willingness to shift subjects/levels from year to year depending on the needs of the department and the school.
- Ability to manage competing demands and adapt to frequent or unexpected changes.
- Ability to work collaboratively and methodically with students, parents, faculty, and staff on a regular basis.
Physical Requirements and Work Environment
- Work in an environment dealing with a wide variety of challenges and deadlines, as well as a diverse array of contacts.
- Work at a desk and computer for extended periods of time.
- Ability to lift up to 30 lbs.
- Work primarily in a traditional climate-controlled environment.
- Work intermittently in outside weather conditions, including extreme heat and cold.
Application: Applicants should submit a résumé and cover letter to email@example.com or to Polytechnic School, c/o Cheryl Flores, 1030 E. California Blvd., Pasadena, CA 91106.
Polytechnic School is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other consideration protected by law