Title: Operations Coordinator - National Capital Region, VA
Office: Nat'l Capital Region
Location: Arlington, VA
The Operations Coordinator - National Capital Region, VA directly reports to the Senior Operations Director and will support the efficiency and growth of the site by implementing and improving processes and systems. This person will support the overall work of the team by executing and delivering on a range of responsibilities, including ensuring a smooth reception and office experience, working with external vendors, and supporting other projects as needed.
To be successful in this role, you’ll be comfortable working independently and will thrive in a fast-paced environment where you’re asked to wear multiple hats at once. Customer service and communication skills will always be top of mind for you, as you’ll be working with both internal and external stakeholders on a regular basis. This is an ideal opportunity for someone who is interested in developing and strengthening their operational and project management skills in an entry level role.
In keeping with Year Up’s values, the Operations Coordinator will also have the opportunity to interact with students as a mentor, group facilitator, and advocate, participating in building a positive educational environment.
* Open the office in time to greet staff, students, and visitors
* Maintaining the office by organizing and routing information
* Create a welcoming & professional atmosphere for visitors and staff
* Undertake special projects at the direction of the Executive Director and the Operations team
* Initiate and maintain vendor relationships (office supplies, catering, shipping, cabs, copiers, toner, etc.)
* Arrange catering orders for the office
* Process mail, including incoming, outgoing (mail, overnight packages, etc) and internal
* Schedule meetings/manage calendars
* Answer phones
* Book travel as needed
* Ensure the site’s appearance is kept in a clean condition
* Support selection and maintenance of all equipment
* Reconcile and track petty cash and corporate credit card receipts
* Works with Operations team to manage & update operational procedures for various areas within Year Up such as Office Manual and Operations Manual
Site Team/Learning Community Member:
* Serve as an advisor/mentor for a small number of current students
* Join and sometimes facilitate weekly group sessions with students
* Participate in staff meetings and trainings
* High School diploma or GED plus commitment to complete Associate’s degree
* Prior experience in an administrative role in an entrepreneurial nonprofit environment preferred
* Must have an eagerness/ability to identify administrative/procedural challenges and implement solutions
* Excellent organizational and project management skills
* Strong interpersonal, oral and written communication skills
* Excellent customer service skills
* Excellent attention to detail within a fast-paced and entrepreneurial environment
* Strong command of Microsoft Office applications and familiarity with database operations
* Flexibility and willingness to learn and work on different tasks as needed
* Ability to take initiative and manage multiple tasks and projects at a time
* Experience and poise dealing with staff, students and clients
* A professional and resourceful style with the ability to work independently and is comfortable in a close-knit team-oriented setting
* A passion for working with urban young adults, an unshakable belief in their potential and a strong commitment to the mission of Year Up
* Understanding of the Opportunity Divide and its drivers
* Commitment to diversity and inclusion
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
* Salary: Competitive and commensurate with education and experience
* Benefits: Competitive package including 100% healthcare coverage, dental, and 401(k) match
* Vacation: Three weeks paid vacation in first year of employment; four weeks after initial year
* Professional development: Funds available to support staff in achieving career objectives
Year Up is an award-winning national 501(c)3 organization striving to close the Opportunity Divide by providing urban young adults with the skills, experience and support that will empower them to reach their potential through professional careers and higher education. Through a one-year intensive training program, Year Up provides urban young adults ages 18-24 with a unique combination of hands-on technical and professional skills, college credit, and corporate internships.
With an annual operating budget of $70 million, Year Up will serve over 2,100 students in 2014 nationwide, with sites in: Atlanta, Boston, Bay Area (San Francisco and Silicon Valley), New York, Providence, Puget Sound (Seattle), National Capital Region (Washington DC) and Chicago, with Year Up Professional Training Corps (PTC) sites located in Miami, Baltimore and Philadelphia.
Voted one of the Best NonProfits to Work For in the country by the NonProfit Times, Year Up is a rewarding place to work. Our staff is passionate, supportive, mission-driven, and committed to positive change and continuous learning. We set high standards for both ourselves and our students, and live by a set of core values that reflect an unshakable belief in the talent and full potential of our young people. The work we do is life-changing, and we know that our team is the greatest asset in achieving our mission.
Please visit http://www.yearup.org/careers to learn more about working at Year Up, and to see a list of current opportunities.
Please submit a thoughtful cover letter and resume through our website.
Note that applications without a cover letter will not be considered. We respectfully request no phone calls.