NYU Langone is one of the nation's premier academic medical centers that includes five hospitals (Tisch Hospital, Rusk Rehabilitation, Hospital for Joint Diseases, Hassenfeld Children's Hospital of New York, and NYU Lutheran Medical Center) and more than 200 ambulatory locations across the New York metropolitan area. It also includes NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. Our trifold mission to serve, teach, and discover is achieved daily through an integrated academic culture devoted to excellence in patient care, education, and research. Learn more about NYU Langone.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Per Diem Research Electro Technologist.
In this role, the successful candidate oversees staff and conducts complex EEG and telemonitoring exams on patients. Conducts complex EEG examinations on patients utilizing appropriate recording machines. Assists in the training of personnel. Will be accountable to the Director with technical and staff problems.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the organizations Service Standards and incorporates them into the performance of duties.
- Prepares patient for testing. Oversees and gathers equipment and supplies according to established departmental procedures. Calibrates equipment prior to procedure, ensuring its proper functioning for procedure. Interacts with patients by identifying self to patient and verifying the identity of the patient by checking the patient ID bracelet. Explains the procedure and equipment to the patient and staff. Provides for patient privacy at all times. Preps patient using proper departmental criteria and technique to insure the best quality recording.
- Administers test by conducting EEG examinations to record and label various leads reflecting the electrical current emanating from the brain. Applies suitable electrodes on predetermined measured positions on patients head and checks their performance. Selects predetermined electrode combination as well as special combination made necessary by the case under study. Obtains standard recordings, recognizes artifacts, and takes appropriate steps to eliminate them. Describes all abnormal clinical manifestations observed during the testing. Interprets EEG data. Uses activating procedures such as hyperventilation, photic stimulation, and sleep. Obtains the patients cooperation for the best performance of these procedures by answering inquiries, explaining the procedure, and reassuring the patient.
- Documents the EEG according to departmental procedures. Abstracts relevant information from the patients clinical record and obtains additional information by questioning. Selects segment of EEG for documentation. Compiles data for research purposes as instructed by Medical Director. Prioritizes all documentation and work flow.
- Maintains equipment in proper functioning order. Cleans and prepares equipment for patient application. Sterilizes equipment after each isolation patient in accordance with nursing and departmental policy. Performs predetermined, preventive maintenance to ensure equipment is operating efficiently. Detects instrument malfunctions and makes minor maintenance adjustments or reports need for major repairs. Familiarizes him/herself with patient safety standards during a seizure.
- Demonstrates a commitment to technical development. Attends EEG conferences, classes, and in-services. Utilizes available resources to enhance skills and level of knowledge. Familiarizes himself/herself with files, microfilms, and recordings. Makes recommendations which would enhance patient care.
- Provides training and technical guidance to new and current personnel. Orients existing employees to new procedures and/or changes in existing procedures. Assists in providing technical CCTV-EEG Monitoring training to technologists visiting from other institutions. Teaches new employees established procedures. Remains available during all duty hours to provide technical advice or assistance to personnel. Delegates work to staff according to priority.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
To qualify you must have a High School Diploma or the equivalent and Certificate of Completion from a licensed EEG School plus one year experience in CCTV-EEG Monitoring. Good communication skills
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Langone Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Medical Center's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal 'EEO is the law' poster or visit http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/poster.cfm for more information.