Located in the Western Region office in San Mateo, CA. The Director will report jointly to the Vice Provost, Western Regional Office and the Senior Director, Industry Engagement to insure continuity of information flow about prospects and relationships. The Director, Industry Engagement, Western Regional Office will pursue an integrated effort in engagement of industry partners, national laboratories, and other research centers, focused on those industry and research domains that align with University strengths and/or areas of desired activity to fulfill University objectives. He/she will be comfortable collaborating with members of the western regional team and committed to devoting their energy to office projects that could go beyond a strict definition of the Industry Engagement domain. Likewise, this position will collaborate with Lehigh Senior leaders, including Deans and faculty, to ensure that prospective industry partners are fulfilling comprehensive engagement objectives in support of key University priorities (e.g., education, research, knowledge and technology transfer, philanthropy). Success is identified by working collegially and dynamically with all levels of Lehigh leadership and by building comprehensive strategic relationships with industry partners and research laboratories. The Director will also be expected to usefully and positively work with volunteers in the region to leverage their access and networks to benefit Lehigh outcomes.
Job Functions: Development/Fund Raising
- Provide coordination and oversight for industry partnerships in support of the University's strategic initiatives.
- Analyze industry partnership opportunities, articulate the value proposition for the university and external partner, and develop comprehensive engagement strategies to drive continuous innovation.
- Provide stewardship of key external relationships in support of Lehigh's strategic ventures. Build relationships at all levels of partner corporations, from service provider to C-level executive, and oversee execution of partnership opportunities by facilitating collaboration and coordination with key stakeholders across the institution.
- Keep on the leading edge of innovation and trends in industry and higher education, and act as a thought leader or emerging business models and strategies.
- Establish strategic relationships with national laboratories and other research centers that enable the public-private exchange of ideas and the facilitation of university-private sector research partnerships in support of Lehigh objectives.
- Analyze the University's research capabilities and domain expertise, identify and cultivate partnership opportunities with research laboratories in the Western Region that advance Lehigh's education and research objectives.
- Work with academic deans and faculty to establish relationship priorities and engagement strategies.
- Facilitate visits to research laboratories for University leadership, faculty and students to advance partnership objectives.
- Collaborate with university senior officers, deans, and faculty on negotiations with corporations on all aspects of the relationship, including issues concerning comprehensive partnership growth planning, intellectual property, research, indirect costs, and gift recognition
- Assist with the development and implementation of university-wide initiatives, as well as the ongoing strategic support of various interdisciplinary endeavors across the university
- Arrange corporate visits for senior leadership as appropriate, including executive-level briefings, in an effort to cultivate key strategic partnerships
- Coordinate campus visits for corporate executives, plan and facilitate meetings, identify and lead follow-up activities
- Work with Trustees and senior academic leaders to gain access to strategic corporate partnerships by leveraging their connections and developing meaningful and measurable value propositions
- Project and program development as needed for Western Regional office, and institutional priorities. Includes working with faculty members and students to develop projects in collaboration with industry partners.
- Work with faculty, deans, and Provost's office during project development phase as appropriate to manage timetable, articulate needs, etc.
- Write complex proposals (in collaboration with industry partner and Lehigh stakeholders), develop project budgets, and present the project/idea to gain support.
- Assist and consult with departments on project opportunities.
Nominations, inquiries, and expressions of interest should be directed via email to:
Christopher (Chris) Shea
Cross Hill Partners, LLC