Director, Academic Success and Bar Programs
University of San Diego
Department: Law School
The Director, Academic Success and Bar Programs ("ASBP"), reports directly to the Assistant Dean for Law Student Affairs and is responsible for contributing to a positive student experience by providing oversight of the many academic support programs at USD. The Director works in a collaborative relationship with all law school students, faculty, administrative offices, and university offices and actively participates in coordinating all aspects of the academic support programs. The Director is expected to design, market and manage the ASP and bar preparation programs and actively engage in outreach to all students. The Director may also be assigned an instructor position in the area of academic support and/or bar preparation programming. The ability to provide timely and accurate communication to students is an essential component of this position. This position requires occasional attendance at on and off campus events during and outside normal business hours. Some travel may be required.
This position works under the general supervision of the Assistant Dean for Law Student Affairs. For instructional assignments, if applicable, also works under the general supervision of the Associate/Vice Dean. The Director of Academic Success and Bar Programs directly supervises one executive assistant (Academic Success and Bar Programs Coordinator). Directly hires, trains and supervises law student academic success fellows (approx. 12-15 per semester) and work-study students. Administrative support to this position is provided by Academic Success and Bar Programs Coordinator.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and Manage a Comprehensive Program in Academic Success and Bar Preparation
- Develop and deliver programs designed to promote student learning and the academic success of all law students.
- Review and improve upon current academic support programs for first year students including first year academic success fellows, 1L study groups, study skills workshops, and early outreach programs.
- Develop a comprehensive academic success program for students beyond their first year.
- Create and present workshops on case briefing, note-taking, outlining, time and stress management and other topics of interest to students.
- Advise and work with students on all aspects of bar exam preparation.
- Provide comprehensive information on bar exam success strategies.
- Plan and execute training programs, lectures, workshops and special events relating to bar preparation.
- Host small group workshops on bar-exam related topics.
- Serve as the law school's liaison with commercial bar preparation providers and oversee the delivery of bar exam preparation programs.
- As needed, assist the Assistant Dean for Law Student Affairs with the administration of the Academic Supervision and Probation programs.
- Work with Law Student Affairs to reach out to all student organizations to promote best practices for academic success in law school.
- Present to and work with USD law faculty as needed in relation to academic success programs and student progress.
- Keep accurate records and engage in regular program assessment and evaluation.
Provide one-on-one academic counseling to JD Students
- Hold regular office hours to work with JD students one-on-one to increase their overall academic skills.
- Maintain an academic progress plan with each student to monitor progress and suggest next steps for student growth.
- Provide academic skills tutoring for students in need and refer students to relevant written materials.
- Some personal and academic counseling may be required.
- Refer students to other counseling resources when necessary.
Teach Course(s) Designed to Increase Bar Exam and/or Legal Analysis Skills
- As needed and as determined by the Associate/Vice Dean and the Assistant Dean for Law Student Affairs, teach a section within the bar preparation program, legal analysis program, or other academic success area as assigned.
- Depending on the Director's expertise, prepare and modify curriculum for course(s) and work with other instructors to improve and align curriculum and conduct course assessments.
- Make suggestions for additional courses to improve student skills.
Perform administrative duties
- Perform administrative duties as necessary including effectively managing event budgets and costs, responding promptly to emails and phone calls and attending meetings within the department, law school and university.
- Keep up to date on latest trends and practices within bar preparation, academic support and legal education. Attendance and active participation in Orientation and Commencement is expected.
- Perform other duties or tasks as assigned.
- JD degree required. Admission to state bar required. California state bar admission preferred.
- Minimum of three to five years professional experience in an academic support/success environment required. Prior experience working within a law school academic support/success program strongly preferred.
- Two to three years' experience in a law school academic support/success environment could substitute for three to five years non-law school academic success experience.
- Experience teaching, providing workshops, or trainings is preferred. Teaching experience in a university setting preferred.
- Academic counseling or advising experience preferred.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail is critical.
- Proven skills in written and oral communication.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion in an academic or professional setting.
- Ability to handle confidential information, exhibit good judgment, and exemplify appropriate customer service in working with students, faculty, and all levels of university staff and officials.
- Ability to prioritize workload effectively and meet deadlines with minimal supervision.
- Ability to take initiative in managing projects and ability to develop and keep to time lines.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively in fast-paced environment.
- Ability to be proactive with respect to suggestions for improving all aspects of the programs
- Strong computer skills for spreadsheet reporting, word-processing, database maintenance, web-design and maintenance. Minimum of intermediate experience with Word, Excel and other Microsoft applications required. Experience with web content development preferred.
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes. Serious candidates are encouraged to request official transcripts to help expedite the hiring process.
Salary: Commensurate with experience; Excellent Benefits.
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package, to include medical, dental, vision, a 12% retirement contribution given to you by the University (with three year vesting period), and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
Hours: 37.5 hours per week; usual work hours Monday-Friday from 8:30am – 5:00pm, with occasional weekend and after-hours as needed
Closing date: March 17, 2017
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus.For more information, visitwww.sandiego.edu/smokefree.
To Apply, Click Here
Copyright 2015 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency