Mission: Tenderloin Neighborhood Development Corporation (TNDC) provides affordable housing and services for low-income people in the Tenderloin and throughout San Francisco, to promote equitable access to opportunity and resources.
Established in 1981, TNDC has grown to employ more than 300 staff, to develop, own, manage and provide supportive services in 33 properties that offer deeply affordable housing for nearly 3,000 tenants, and to expand its work in community organizing and after school programming. TNDC is viewed as a trusted and well-organized community ally locally and a practice leader nationally. In San Francisco, TNDC envisions diverse communities where people with low incomes can fulfill their potential and meet their basic needs. In the Tenderloin, TNDC stands as a catalyst for advancing community interests and a force for expanding the choices that enhance livability, such as housing, employment, education, food, cultural activities, and open spaces.
TNDC values are: Integrity, Excellence, Diversity, Collaboration and Equity
Under the general direction of the Chief Portfolio Officer, the Director of Property Management is accountable for all aspects of operations for TNDC’s apartment portfolio, with a focus on operational excellence and continuous improvement, performed in a fashion that is consistent with TNDC’s values and enhances TNDC’s reputation and commitment to quality and neighborhood transformation. In addition, he/she is responsible for developing and implementing tactical management strategies for TNDC regarding property performance, operating standards and staffing, interfacing with the staff of other Departments within TNDC, including Housing Development, Tenant Services, Asset Management and Accounting
The Director will have full operational responsibility for a growing portfolio of over 3,500 apartment homes and a team of approximately 250 associates, over 80% of whom are people of color.
This person will report to and work closely with the Chief Portfolio Officer. Direct reports to this position will include an Associate Director of Property Management, a Facilities Manager, and a Compliance Manager. This person will also work closely and collaboratively with other key executives who oversee other disciplines within the firm including the Chief Executive Officer, the Chief Operating Officer, the Chief Financial Officer, the Chief Talent Officer, and Directors of Housing Development, Tenant Services, Asset Management and Finance. The Director is a member of the organization’ Senior Management Team. Teaming and collaboration are a hallmark of TNDC’s structure and culture.
- The Director of Property Management will direct and manage an industry leading team. This includes workingwith the Chief Talent Officer in evaluating the recruiting process for all field positions, improving and implementing aprofessional development and training program for all levels of field personnel, insuring that the appropriate functions are in place and qualifications are met within the ranks of senior managers and their direct reports within the operations organization.
- Train, motivate and evaluate the work.
- Bear ultimate responsibility for the performance of all properties under management to meet the goals of its ownership.
- Evaluate all properties under management to develop strategies to optimize operations and sustainability. Utilize a hands-on management and leadership style to mentor members of the property operations team and to make continual adjustments to maintain a fresh approach at each property with the goal of continually optimizing performance of the assets.
- Implement policies and procedures, metrics, systems, best practices, management structures, management reporting systems, use of information technology, and effective training to create a strong operating discipline for the company.
- Evaluate the performance of each property and the portfolio against internal business plans and industry benchmarks.
- Work closely and collaboratively with other departments within TNDC including Finance and Accounting, Housing Development, Asset Management, Community Organizing, Human Resources, and Tenant Services to develop short-term and mid-term business plans to improve the lines of interdepartmental communications and increase performance for each asset.
- Support housing development staff to plan new development or acquisition of properties. Help to develop annual property operating and capital allocation budgets for new transactions.
- Communicate regularly and effectively with the executive and senior management teams within TNDC regarding any issues related to property performance (particularly with regards to under- performing assets) as well as overall operational matters.
- Ensure compliance with federal, state and local policies, procedures, laws and regulations.
- Represent TNDC as a leader and innovator in its field by becoming an active participant in the communityit serves and the company’s representative at appropriate regional and national industry events.