The Woodward Academy Upper School strives to help students fulfill their potential in every facet of their lives. Woodward provides opportunities for students to expand their horizons through academics, the arts, athletics, and community service.
Our dedicated faculty excels in their respective fields, and provide a stimulating, fun, and challenging environment. Whether they are promoting academic excellence or demonstrating personal accountability, the members of the faculty find creative and meaningful ways to communicate with their students.
This position involves directing and administering the George C. Carlos Library program which serves Upper and Middle school students and classes.
Specific duties include:
- Overseeing the George C. Carlos Library program.
- Developing and implementing policies and procedures for the operation of the library.
- Evaluating programs, services, facilities, and materials.
- Administering the library budget.
- Orienting, supervising, supporting, and evaluating the library staff.
- Preparing and submitting reports to the administration.
- Representing the library at Academic Council meetings.
- Staying abreast of developments in library science, pedagogies, and issues related to education.
- Developing the weekly library work schedule and creating the weekly staff calendar.
- Selecting and evaluating library resources, both print and electronic, that support the curriculum.
- Assisting students, faculty and staff in the use of all library resources.
- Teaching skills of information retrieval through and integrated research skills program that incorporates information literacy standards.
- Making all materials easily accessible to students, faculty and staff.
- Creating, communicating, and maintaining library procedures and policies for selection, ordering, cataloging, classifying, processing and circulation.
- Providing and maintaining a flexible environment that encourages research, browsing, study and collaboration.
- Fostering a love of reading and promoting the lifelong habit of reading and inquiry by providing a wide selection of materials.
- Collaborating with the faculty to design curriculum to foster creativity and promote critical thinking and problem solving skills.
- Functioning as the webmaster for the library web pages.
- Participating in continuing professional development by attending meetings, conferences and library workshops.