| Appalachian State University a Division I member of the Sun Belt Conference is seeking a candidate for the position of Director of Student-Athlete Development. The Director of Student-Athlete Development is responsible for representing Mountaineer athletics in various on and off campus roles. The Director of Student-Athlete Development will directly oversee the development and implementation of programs designed to enhance the academic, athletic, social, and personal development of Appalachian student-athletes, and serve as a member of the broadcast operations team. Responsibilities: |
1. Develop and facilitate best practices to foster the holistic development of student-athletes in these areas:
• Academic Integrity
• Competitive Excellence
• Social Responsibility
• Career Development
• Community Service
• Leadership Development
• Personal growth
2. Assist the Mountaineer Strategic Communications Department in these areas: Develop, promote, and support the communications and brand management efforts of the department
• Assist in broadcast and social media operations
• Assist with the development and operations of App State TV production and content
• Serve as play-by-play announcer, color analyst, and host of coaches’ shows for various sports.
• Other duties as assigned by the Associate Athletics Director of Strategic Communications.
3. Develop and expand mentoring program for student-athletes, to include support for student-athletes from underrepresented populations. Serve as a mentor and advocate for student-athletes.
4. Coordinate educational workshops for student athletes on topics, which align with the athletics departments core values.
5. Serve as liaison with Student Development personnel on issues relating to student-athletes.
6. Develop a strong collaborative network of resources on campus and in the community to enhance the holistic development of student-athletes.
• Coordinate with resources to develop and deliver professional development opportunities for Department of Athletics staff and coaches on topics related to student-athlete development.
• Disseminate information to Department of Athletics staff and student-athletes about campus resources and programming.
7. Maintain positive working relationships with faculty, coaches, and administrators, and provide leadership in advocating for student-athletes.
8. Facilitate Career Development Programming for student-athletes, develop Career Development network, and coordinate with Career Development Office in providing programs for student-athletes.
9. Develop and promote community service opportunities for student-athletes and the athletics department.
10. Serve as advisor to the Student Athlete Advisory Council (SAAC). Facilitate the group’s mission and goals, provide leadership skill development and supervise planned activities and programming.
11. Solicit funding through the NCAA (Student-Athlete Development Grant, CHOICES Grant, etc.) and other sources to enhance personal development opportunities for student-athletes. Oversee administration of external funding.
12. Coordinate student-athlete nomination and attendance for regional and national conferences.
13. Coordinate the NCAA Degree Completion Award process.
14. Coordinate student-athlete postgraduate opportunities, including scholarship process.
15. Coordinate annual special events for student athletes, such as the Welcome Back session, Awards Banquet, Scholar Ring Recognition, etc.
16. Oversee Life Skills budget.
17. Demonstrate commitment to and compliance with the University’s and Department of Athletics’ policies and procedures as well as Sun Belt Conference and NCAA constitutions, bylaws, legislation and regulations.
18. Facilitate all Academic Orientation Sessions for Student Athletes.
19. Serve as a liaison for all community service activities. Help all sports teams find ways to give back to the community.
20. Serve as the liaison with the Office of Student Conduct. Assist all Student-Athletes when a violation of the Student Code occurs.
21. Assist with data collection for reports.
22. Serve on University committees, as assigned.
23. Seek professional development opportunities to enhance skills and contribute to the effectiveness of The Student-Athlete Development program.
24. Other duties, as assigned.
Bachelor’s Degree, excellent oral and written communication skills, organization skills, and 2-4 years of experience in athletics administration.
Previous experience in broadcast operations, student-athlete life skills programming, academic support, career guidance and event planning.
Salary commensurate with experience.
Application: Candidates must fill out an application at http://appstate.peopleadmin.com/postings/14629. A cover letter, resume and a list of three references are required and can be attached to the application. Review of applicants will begin immediately.
Appalachian State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. The University does not discriminate in access to its educational programs and activities, or with respect to hiring or the terms and conditions of employment, on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity and expression, political affiliation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information or sexual orientation. Appalachian Athletics promotes an inclusive culture that fosters equitable participation for student-athletes and equitable career opportunities for coaches, administrators and support staff from diverse backgrounds and perspectives.
Individuals with disabilities may request accommodations in the application process by contacting Troy Heustess at 828-262-7768.
Any offer of employment to a successful candidate will be conditioned upon the University's receipt of a satisfactory criminal background report.