Department: Fiscal Services
Director of Accounting and Treasury Operations
George Mason University Fiscal Services seeks an experienced accountant to lead its accounting operations and treasury functions as Director of Accounting and Treasury Operations. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Mason's academic and culturally inclusive environment.
This position oversees the banking, treasury, and cash management operations, as well as the interface and reconciliation to the state accounting system; and monitors and assures the accuracy and integrity of the general ledger. Additional responsibilities include:
- Manage the Office of Accounting Operations within General Accounting Department, to include treasury activities related to cash flow, investment performance, borrowings, debt, and capital management; and supervise staff accountants and fiscal technicians;
- Oversee the banking contract and all banking operations, to include security and access for online banking;
- Monitor cash handling controls in decentralized environment and oversee e-commerce solution; and manage daily cash flow needs, and cash flow reporting, to include creation of and regular updates to cash flow models and monthly cash projections;
- Primary contact for the Department of Accounts (DOA) for systems and processing problems, and monitors/evaluates DOA administrative changes (such as changes to the Commonwealth Accounting Policies and Procedures manual) that affect the university;
- Monitor the interface of the university's accounting system (Ellucian Banner) with the state accounting system (Cardinal), assuring that the two systems are reconciled and in agreement;
- Review and approve all non-budget Journal Entries to Banner Finance;
- Detect and correct erroneous postings to the General Ledger;
- Oversee the Banner subsystem feeds to Banner Finance: student, budget, financial aid and payroll; and assure there are no errors and that sufficient funding is in place to cover expenses;
- Manage the month-end and fiscal year-end close and spend down of appropriated funds; and
- Work with systems analysts, DBAs and programmers to assure programs and systems critical to daily operations are functioning properly and efficiently.
- Master's degree in accounting or closely related field, or equivalent training and experience;
- Thorough knowledge of financial accounting principles, preferably those applicable to the public higher education sector;
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge in the use of complex accounting and reporting systems; and
- Communication skills to interact with a broad spectrum of people, to include internal and external auditors, banking managers, department heads and employees.
- Certified Public Accountant;
- Significant experience in operational accounting at a large institution;
- Knowledge of and experience in corporate banking processes; and
- Supervisory and management experience.
Salary: Commensurate with education and experience.
Criminal Background Check: Standard Background Check, Financial Background Check
Mason Ad Statement:
Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report “Up and Coming” spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Mason’s diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number FA49Ez at http://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.