General DescriptionIn accordance with institutional policies and standards responsible for administration, programming, maintenance, performance, implementation, security and support of various departmental and enterprise wide platforms, including the installation and testing of new software, operating systems, related utilities/services, and hardware products as well as the integration of new products and /or software release upgrades into the current environment. Conducts systems performance evaluations, monitoring, patch management and security evaluations. Analyzes user needs in various computer environments (including but not limited to mainframe, Windows, and mid-range) and makes recommendations for products and services that meet those needs. Ensures that all systems environments are maintained in an efficient and cost-effective manner.
Develop solutions based on extensive technical knowledge, skills and experience; influence clients towards innovative/integrated solutions. Responsible for full life-cycle of medium to large sized complex projects; strong technical skills; strong ability to understand complex business processes. Complex and large projects typically are applications/systems with 501-3000 concurrent users requiring uptime commensurate with Clinical, Business critical, Education critical or Enterprise systems. Impacts of outages will cause major disruption such as implementation of downtime procedures, major disruption of business operations, and/or cascades to more than 7 systems/applications. Disruptions are without obvious or simple workarounds. Build and maintain client relationships through positive interactions. May provide assistance to lower level positions. Project scope can span an entire department, division, or enterprise-wide level. For enterprise-wide level typical projects impact the broader customer base of Johns Hopkins and its most mission critical systems. Projects often require interaction with various departments and teams both within and outside the department. Work is complex.
This position will provide support for client operating system image management and deployment. This position will develop and maintain a common client image for IT groups, primarily focused around IT groups supporting clinical systems. The candidate will collaborate with application support teams, infrastructure groups and departmental IT staff to test, deliver, and maintain the common windows image. The candidate will be responsible for documenting the configuration of the image and processes to deliver the image. The candidate will be responsible for meeting timelines defined by the Enterprise Services Group's management.
The Position's Roles & Interactions: This position will be responsible for meeting with technical staff from many Johns Hopkins IT entities to determine customer needs for the development of a standard client image. This position's role is to develop and maintain client images and processes to be used by the Johns Hopkins computing environment. This position is responsible for having expertise in client imaging and providing documentation to the Institutional IT groups around client imaging.
By utilizing available client imaging technologies, this position will develop and maintain a client image for standard client hardware systems as identified by institutional computing groups.
This position will support developing common client image which will serve as the platform that client systems run throughout the Johns Hopkins enterprise, with a potential scope of 50,000 client systems. The position will also support servers associated with this mission. This image will be used by groups who support clinical client systems. The scale is "big-E" Enterprise. All Hopkins affiliates, including international locales.
- Users: 100,000+
- Systems: 100,000+
- Complexity is at the highest.
On Call Requirements: Part of a weekly on call rotation for the services provided by the Enterprise Management and Monitoring Services team.
SYSTEMS ANALYSIS/DESIGN (ENVIRONMENT/PLATFORM)
- Design complex business, clinical, education, or infrastructure solutions by meeting with customers to observe and understand current processes and the issue related to those processes.
- Provide written documentation and diagrams of findings to share with the client and other IT colleagues.
- Design complex solutions that conform to institutional policies, standards, and guidelines, and infrastructure environment and to vendor and industry best practices to deliver a quality product.
- Select infrastructure applications that reside between end user applications and hardware operating systems by working with vendors, customers, and other sources (i.e., open source or Internet2 initiatives) to provide configurable tools to the customers.
- Develop new methods to improve service processes, performance, and functionality by examining existing systems management tools and processes.
- Research, recommend, and implement new technologies based on the value to the institutions.
- Works with vendor processes and product to improve the quality and fit for the institutions. Typically establishes product mastery, and demonstrates initiative for improvements.
INSTALL AND CONFIGURE
- Install and configure complex server hardware and operating systems by following technical documentation to provide a working product.
- Evaluate, implement, and manage appropriate complex software and hardware solutions by using best practices for the environment to ensure system integrity.
- Install and configure infrastructure applications by following product installation and configuration directions and industry best practices to deliver a solution to the customers.
- Implement a schedule of system backups and archive operations by using best practices for the environment to ensure data/media recoverability.
MAINTAIN AND TROUBLESHOOT
- Provide complex server level administration (manage HW/SW, maintenance, upgrades and patches, account maintenance, backups and recoveries and assist users) by following documented procedures to ensure a stable environment. Monitor and tune the system by following documentation and procedures to achieve optimum performance levels.
- Develop complex scripts and solutions by using departmental standards to automate systems management.
- Perform complex system software upgrades including planning and scheduling, testing, and coordination by following documentation and departmental standards to provide a stable product for the environment.
- Design and/or integrate security authorization and access control. Audit and maintain user access and authorization by following access and authorization documentation to provide for system security.
- Generate and maintain complex periodic and ongoing system specific reports by using appropriate tools to assess system performance, integrity and capacity in order to deliver a stable environment to the users.
- Follow and maintain IT security awareness and best practices by understanding security principles as they pertain to environments supported in order to deliver secure solutions to customers.
- Utilize system management and monitoring tools and incident tracking systems by following documentation and standards to detect incidents, take corrective actions, and determine root cause.
- Monitor changes and resolve any incidents by responding to problems as they occur, by reviewing all processing and output of the newly implemented solution, and by proactively ensuring the solution works successfully in order to satisfy the customer requirements and to provide a smooth transition to the new solution.
PROJECT COLLABORATION AND LIFECYCLE PARTICIPATION
- Implement changes while adhering to the change management policies and procedures in order to deliver a successful solution to the customer. Communicate to all parties the nature, significance, and risk factors.
- With assistance of the project team, develop RFP's from requirements gathered by following institutional and purchasing guidelines in order to present well documented requirements to potential vendors for proposed solutions.
- Evaluate vendor proposals by reviewing requirements for the product to select the most appropriate vendor.
- Assist vendors, consultants, and inside Enterprise groups in developing applications by meeting with the team on a regular basis to deliver quality products to customers.
- Participate in scheduled project team meetings by attending all meeting to provide input to the project team.
- Author and maintain documentation by writing audience-appropriate materials to serve as technical and/or end user reference.
- Develop test scenarios appropriate to changes being implemented by following testing guidelines to ensure all delivered solutions work as expected and errors are handled in a meaningful way.
- Test all changes by using the appropriate test scenarios to ensure all delivered solutions work as expected and errors are handled in a meaningful way.
- May participate in Institutional and Departmental committees and initiatives.