- Directly care for ambulatory patients in the faculty outpatient practice - Supervise the care provided to ambulatory patients by housestaff in the resident outpatient practice - Directly care for hospitalized patients on the general medicine inpatient service working on teams with housestaff and students - Mentor residents in evidence-based medical care - Work within the Health System and with other departments to further the effective management of ambulatory and hospitalized patients
1. Teaching: - Supervise and teach housestaff in the resident outpatient practice - Supervise and teach learners (including medical students, interns, and residents) on the inpatient housestaff teaching service - While on the inpatient teaching service, conduct daily teaching rounds that use contemporary adult learning methods to promote evidence-based practice - Demonstrate effective teaching skills and continually develop as a teacher for learners at all levels - Complete required evaluations of learners in a timely manner—including but not limited to written and verbal feedback. - Participate in other learning activities such as morning report, core conference, and other formal educational programs for undergraduate and post-graduate learners
2. Research: - Participate in clinical and educational research, according to skills, interest, and funding (research opportunities may include performance improvement initiatives or formal extramurally funded investigations)
3. Service: - Work with institutional staff and administration to attain the strategic objectives of VCU Health System, including patient safety, patient and other customer satisfaction, maintenance and enhancement of public perception, and fiscal health
4. Clinical: - Provide direct clinical care to ambulatory patients and hospitalized patients, with the amount of time spent in the outpatient and inpatient venues determined by mutual agreement with the Division Chair - Participate in night and weekend on-call duties (telephone call only; no in-hospital responsibilities), shared among Division faculty - Comply in a timely manner with all institutional policies for professional work, including credentialing, documentation, and billing - Work effectively with other members of the extended inter-professional team
- Board certification or eligibility in Internal Medicine - Direct experience managing complex inpatients - Interest in teaching and growth in an academic setting - Interest in furthering the academic mission of the Division - Experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment or commitment to do so as a faculty member at VCU - Demonstrated ability to provide effective communication, both verbal and written
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: www.vcujobs.comVirginia Commonwealth University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action institution providing access to education and employment without regard to age, race, color, national origin, gender, religion, sexual orientation, veteran's status, political affiliation or disability.
One of the nation's top research universities, VCU enrolls more than 31,000 students on two Richmond campuses the Monroe Park Campus and MCV Campus. Situated in the heart of Richmond, the capital of Virginia since 1779, Virginia Commonwealth University serves an integral role in the economic health of the city educating the current and future workforce, reaching out to the community, advancing research and enhancing patient care.