NYU Langone Medical Center, a world-class, patient-centered, integrated, academic medical center, is one of the nation's premier centers for excellence in clinical care, biomedical research and medical education. Located in the heart of Manhattan, NYU Langone is composed of four hospitals - Tisch Hospital, its flagship acute care facility; Rusk Rehabilitation; the Hospital for Joint Diseases, one of only five hospitals in the nation dedicated to orthopaedics and rheumatology; and Hassenfeld Children's Hospital, a comprehensive pediatric hospital supporting a full array of children's health services across the medical center - plus the NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. The medical center's tri-fold mission to serve, teach and discover is achieved 365 days a year through the seamless integration of a culture devoted to excellence in patient care, education and research. For more information, go to www.NYULMC.org.
Current Registered Professional Nurse in New York State
Master's in Nursing and experience in HPCT field preferred
Certification by the Oncology Nursing Certification Corporation (ONCC) required
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Registered Nurse in our Outpatient Perlmutter Cancer Center. To qualify you must have a Bachelor's degree in Nursing, a current New York State RN license, current BLS certification with the American Heart Association, current Chemotherapy Nursing Certification and Hematology Oncology Nursing experience. Experience with quality improvement projects is preferred. The successful candidate will be responsible for providing pre, intra and post-therapy assessment; appropriate interventions, patient and family education; discharge instructions; and coordination of interdisciplinary services for each patient visit.
1. Articulates understanding of the clinical, quality and cellular regulatory standards.
2. Demonstrates understanding of interdisciplinary patient care standards as integral to and supportive of professional practice.
3. Demonstrates understanding and implications of oncology cellular quality and other clinical indicators evidence based care of the hematologic patient.
4. Monitoring the cellular therapy program by managing deviations, customer complaints and other Quality Systems reports.
5. Participates in RCAs, FMEAs and assists in implementation and monitoring of corrective action plan.
6. Acts as a professional role model to all levels of staff by incorporating expertise and related experience into all aspects of patient care and the nursing process.
7. Promotes ongoing patient/significant other education in an effort to facilitate effective clinical management across the continuum of care consistent with the needs of each individual hematology patient population.
8. Promotes and maintains evidence-based education for current and new hematologic therapies/treatments for the inpatient/outpatient population.
9. Facilitates a strong collaborative interdisciplinary approach to achieve optimal patient outcomes.
II. Leadership & Coordination
1. Assists unit based leadership or staff, patient and family in developing and implementing education initiatives that support evidence based care.
2. Assists unit based leadership in developing quality initiatives that fulfills all regulatory requirements from multiple agencies.
3. Coordinates activities that promote compliance with all regulatory requirements.
4. Supports unit based leadership by developing tools to monitor outcomes at the unit level.
5. Provides support for quality improvement teams including arranging meetings, providing minutes, managing project timelines, and preparing reports.
6. Assists oncology leadership in development of presentations, reports and publications of quality and safety program outcomes.
7. Establishes and maintains collaborative relationships with clinical staff, leadership, medical staff, and other administrative staff.
8. Participates as a member of various oncology councils and other hospital committees as appropriate.
9. Functions as a respectful member of the healthcare team and role model for nursing staff regarding needs of the HPCT patient population.
10. Successfully networks with external organizations to connect NYULMC regarding quality programs with national organizations, such as UHC, NDNQI, for mutual and benchmarking activities.
11. Informs and consults with operations concerning regulations, standard blood/tissue operation processes, and validation protocols.
12. Coordinates and implements HPCT/hematology education and training with patient, caregivers and health care interdisciplinary teams.
III. Development & Education
1. Supports evidence based practice by assisting staff in development of process standards that are consistent with evidence based literature, regulatory requirements, and pertinent professional nursing standards.
2. Maintains clinical and functional expertise.
3. Participates in leadership development programs in areas pertinent to expertise and interest.
4. Identifies and addresses learning needs of professional and ancillary staff.
5. Serves as resource for the education of other health care professionals.
6. Develops and provides in-services appropriate to the patient population.
7. Encourages professional growth, development and expertise within the patient population.
IV. Evaluation, Quality, & Research
1. Uses sound methodology in analyzing data, evaluating outcomes and driving excellence.
2. Stays abreast of trends and issues pertaining to nursing work environments and the oncology strategic plan.
3. Participates in the annual evaluation of the Oncology Quality Management Plan.
4. Utilizes and communicates evidence based practice in the development of the quality and performance program of the Department.
5. Applies research findings that support development of evidence-based practice.
NYU Langone Medical Center provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents. And just as our employees invest so much in us, we invest in our employees. We're pleased to have one of the most competitive compensation packages not only among New York's hospitals and healthcare institutions, but within the corporate sector as well. We begin with exceptional medical, dental, and drug coverage. We enhance this basic coverage with comprehensive wellness programs, and supplement those with retirement investment and benefits plans, and generous paid time off allowances. Add to that a very attractive tuition program, and you'll see just some of the ways that NYU Langone Medical Center demonstrates our commitment to our employees.
NYU Langone Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, military and veteran status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Medical Center's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal 'EEO is the law' poster or visit https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm for more information.