| |Information Technology Services at West Virginia University is seeking applications for a LAN Analyst/Network Engineer. Under the direction of the Manager of Network Operations, this position is responsible for the development, implementation and maintenance of the WVU Campus Backbone, including all Local Area Networks (LAN), Metropolitan Area Networks (MAN) and Wide Area Networks (WAN).
In order to be successful in this position, the ideal candidate will:
- Plan and install network infrastructure equipment to enable connectivity, communication, operations, and management of an enterprise network including, but not limited to, routers, switches, and fiber patch cables.
- Maintain in-depth working knowledge of Cisco IOS software configuration commands and Cisco hardware.
- Monitor overall performance of the campus backbone, maintain configuration consistency across campus devices, provide redundant connections and services as physical wiring permits, and retain up-to-date backup copies of all device configurations.
- Develop written procedures for all work related to network operations, and assist in keeping equipment/software maintenance contracts updated.
- Plan and upgrade software updates to networking devices ensuring the latest security and feature sets are in place, maintain documentation pertaining to IOS versions across campus, monitor and check systems in order to optimize performance, and initiate recover/repairs after a failure.
- Coordinate protocols for operations within the WVU system for voice, data and video needs.
- Investigate, test and implement new technologies to improve WVU's network performance, security and stability. Develop and maintain a lab for testing new technologies and operating systems.
- Maintain network security from virus, worm, trojan or other attacks on the campus network, and fully maintain intrusion detection/prevention devices.
- Maintain perimeter firewalls ensuring maximum protection to the network, and resolve false positives in a timely manner.
- Other duties as assigned.
ITS has about 210 employees with diverse backgrounds, personalities and experience. We make sure the networks, data centers, Internet and phones are robust and reliable. We support dozens of applications that are critical to the University's administrative functions and academic mission, including the Ellucian Banner, TargetX, BDM, Hobsons, Banner Workflow and Argos. We protect the confidentiality and integrity of data. We talk to our customers regularly about our services and initiatives, and we welcome and respond to suggestions.
We want employees with a positive attitude, an eagerness to collaborate, initiative and imagination. We want creative thinkers who can find clever solutions to problems and improve our efficiency. We want people who embrace WVU's many missions, from empowering faculty and students to improving the quality of life for West Virginians.
- Bachelor's degree in technology, computer science, education, communications, or a related field with technical experience; a relevant master's degree is preferred
- An equivalent combination of education and experience will also be considered
- At least four (4) years of experience in the following areas:
- Configuration and installation of Cisco routers, switches, unified communications, wireless access points
- Internet TCP/IP protocols (such as DHCP, DNS, SNMP, SMTP, TELNET, FTP, WWW, SSH)
- Design and implementation of complex LANs /WANs
- Thorough knowledge of routing protocols such as EIGRP and BGP
- Demonstrated proficiency in problem solving
- Commitment to customer satisfaction
- Team oriented individual
- Ability to supervise student workers
- Background check
- Cisco certification is preferred
First consideration will be given to those who apply by March 15, 2017.
At West Virginia University, we pride ourselves on a tireless endeavor for achievement. We are home to some of the most passionate, innovative minds in the country who push their limits for the sake of progress, constantly moving the world forward. Our students, faculty and staff make this institution one of the best out there, and we are proud to stand as one voice, one university, one WVU. Find out more about your opportunities as a Mountaineer athttp://hr.wvu.edu/
West Virginia University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff and students, and invites applications from all qualified individuals, including minorities, females, individuals with disabilities and veterans.
Job Posting: Feb 22, 2017
Posting Classification: Non-Classified
Exemption Status: Exempt
Benefits Eligible: Yes