| Company Overview:|
At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we’re not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we’re driving excellence and improving outcomes.
For the 27th year, MSK has been named a top hospital for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. We are proud to be on Becker’s Healthcare list as one of the 150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare in 2016, as well as Glassdoor’s annual Employees’ Choice Awards 2017. We’re treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
The Patient Representative helps personalize and humanize the patient experience by serving as a liaison between patients, families, and staff. Upholds patients’ rights with a concentration on effective grievance processing, risk mitigation and managing transitions in care.
- Leadership – Responds calmly to crises and listens objectively and thoroughly to all involved parties with understanding of cultural differences and differing interests of involved factions. Establishes an avenue for negotiations to occur while diminishing emotional outbursts and hostility between parties.
- Grievances/conflict resolution - Acts as a grievance mechanism for patients/families promptly investigating and resolving identified problems with care/and or services.
- Advocacy – Advocates for patients/ families who need assistance. Identifies patients/families at risk and facilitates meetings with appropriate personnel to support and maintain continuity of care and safe care transitions.
- Documentation – Documents patient/family perceptions of care for regulatory reporting and institutional performance improvement.
- Education – As part of the Patient Representative team, provides assistance and education to patients and staff on advance directives, particularly New York State and New Jersey advance directives including health care proxies. Provides notary services to patients (notary license reimbursement).
- Master’s degree in Health Advocacy or related field preferred, equivalency considered with 10-15 years of work related experience.
- MSW or RN welcomed.
- Broad based knowledge of health care systems, regulatory policies, risk mitigation, and understanding of human behavior a plus.
*Please note that flexibility and availability to travel to our regional sites in Long Island, Westchester and NJ, is required. Reliable transportation & valid driver’s license required.
MSK is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran status or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.