A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Provide patient care services using advanced radiologic imaging equipment, including fluoroscopy, digital angiography, angio-CT hybrid units and ultrasound, to assist in diagnosis or treatment of various conditions. Technologists perform and/or assist with minimally invasive radiographic procedures and related techniques, producing images for the interpretation by, or at the request of a licensed practitioner. Exercises professional judgment in the performance of services and maintains a demeanor complementary to medical ethics. Provides appropriate patient care and recognizes patient conditions essential for successful completion of the procedure.
I. Basic Procedural Responsibilities:
- Corroborates patient’s clinical history, name and date of birth with procedure, assuring information is accurate, documented and available for use by a licensed practitioner.
- Maintain knowledge of proper procedural protocols for both adult and pediatric patient populations.
- Positions patient using appropriate radiation protection devices and immobilizing techniques for age specific patient populations.
- Applies principles of radiation protection to minimize exposure to patient, self and others.
- Positions patient to best demonstrate anatomic area of interest, while respecting patient ability and comfort.
- Selects and operates appropriate medical imaging equipment according to established protocols.
- Evaluates images for technical quality, assuring proper identification and anatomical marking is recorded.
- Directly assists radiologist with all radiographic, angio-CT hybrid and/or ultrasound procedures.
- Utilizes proper archiving protocols for processing and storing all acquired images related to procedures.
- Maintain patient confidentially and demonstrate exemplary customer service skills.
- Advanced Procedural Responsibilities:
- According to departmental protocols prepares, identifies, and administers contrast media under the direction of a radiologist.
- According to department protocols prepares patients for the administration of contrast media through intravenous, intra-arterial or other applicable delivery route via appropriate catheter.
- Under direct physician supervision, function in a scrub assistant role during catheter based procedures, while utilizing proper aseptic and/or sterile technique.
- Maintain knowledge of and observe Operating Room protocol and Universal Precautions.
- Secure proper supplies and competently set up sterile trays for all interventional procedures.
- Maintain a detailed working knowledge of all equipment and supplies used in the Interventional Radiology Division, including but not limited to the following:
- All single plane and bi-plane digital angiographic suites, including fluoroscopic, digital angio, dyna CT and 3D image reconstruction functions.
- All CT/angio hybrid units, including applicable CT protocols and image reconstruction.
- All ultrasound units, including G.E. Logic 9 and Toshiba, as well as SonoSite peripheral vascular access units.
- All types of scopes and associated equipment used for stone removal procedures including flex cystoscopes, ureteroscopes and choledocholfiberscopes.
- All types of thrombectomy and lytic therapy devices including Angio Jet, EKOS, Tretola and Trellis.
- All types of aortic endografts including Gore, Medtronic and Cook.
- All types of embolization devices including coils, glue, particles, chemical or radiopharmaceutical.
- All types of angioplasty balloons and vascular stents.
- All types of vascular and non-vascular catheters and guide wires.
- Maintain a detailed working knowledge of all procedures performed in the Interventional Radiology Division, including but not limited to the following:
- All diagnostic angiographic procedures including neuro and visceral.
- All interventional procedures including vascular angioplasty, stent placement, embolization, lytic therapy and thrombolysis.
- All vascular access procedures including PICC lines, dialysis catheters and ports.
- All non-vascular procedures including PCN, PTC, G-tubes, biopsies and sclerotherapy.
- All hybrid procedures which utilize CT and angio including radioactive pharmaceutical therapy with technetium 99 or Therespheres.
- All endovascular Operating Room based procedures including thoracic and abdominal aortic endografts.
- Professional / Educational Responsibilities:
- Maintain American Registry of Radiologic Technologists (ARRT) certification for Radiography and Vascular-Interventional, which includes completing appropriate continuing education requirements.
- Maintain American Registry of Radiologic Technologists (ARRT) advanced certification for Vascular Interventional.
- Complete at least two (2) ARRT approved continuing education units which are CT specific as part of your bi-annual ARRT continuing education requirements.
- Maintain American Heart Association (AHA) Basic Life Support (BLS) certification.
- Participate in the Interventional Radiology Division quality assessment and improvement program. May be responsible for specific quality improvement projects in the assigned area.
- Provide applicable instruction for patients, students and other health care professionals.
- Participate in research projects and protocols when applicable.
- Participate in all Interventional Radiology Division staff meetings when feasible.
- Inform physicians, administrators and/or coordinators of critical issues in a timely manner.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Associate's degree from an accredited college or university is required.
- American Registry of Radiologic Technologists (ARRT) certification for Radiography is required.
- At least 1-2 years of diagnostic general imaging experience is required.
- Certification by the American Heart Association (AHA) for Basic Life Support (BLS) is required within 6 months of hire.
- American Registry of Radiologic Technologists (ARRT) advanced certification for Vascular Interventional (VI) is required within 2 years of hire.
- This position requires primary source verification.
Position Related Requirements
- Concentration and attention to detail is required during procedures that vary in length from 30 minutes to 8 or more hours.
- Standing and/or operating within a sterile field while wearing a lead apron is required for 95-100% of working hours.
- Ability to lift, push or pull 50lbs. or more, repeatedly, over the course of 8, 10 or 12 hour shifts.
- Evaluate and reposition patients when necessary to facilitate procedures and fluoroscopic views.
- Ability to move patient occupied stretchers, wheel chairs and patient beds.
- Ability to maintain professional composure while engaging in potentially stressful situations.
- Variable shifts. On-call duty is required.
Existing ARRT advanced certification for CV, VI or CT is preferred.
Variable - Days / Eves / Nights
General supervision is received from a Faculty Physician, Division Administrator or Lead Technologist.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.