*Required application materials include a cover letter and a current curriculum vitae. Three confidential letters of recommendation are also required. For the letters of recommendation, applicants must make arrangements to have three confidential letters of recommendation (in either Word or PDF format) sent to firstname.lastname@example.org directly by the recommenders.*
Summary: Provides leadership, cross-school/department coordination, and administrative oversight to support research and scholarly inquiry across Wake Forest. As Associate Provost, this person will help advance and support scholarship in all its forms.
The Associate Provost for Research and Scholarly Inquiry supervises and coordinates the development, implementation, promotion and assessment of research and scholarly initiatives across Wake Forest’s schools. To this end, she/he will work directly with a range of academic and administrative colleagues, including Reynolda Campus faculty seeking grants and other sources of support for their research and creative inquiry, the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs, directors of university-wide centers and institutes, academic associate deans across the graduate/professional schools and college, the Wake Forest Innovations team working on technology licensing and commercialization, and university advancement officers. Qualified applicants may merit consideration at the rank of Full Professor or Associate Professor, but other faculty ranks may be considered.
- Assess and enhance the University’s research/scholarly infrastructure; help develop/update strategic plans for advancing aspirations therein.
- Continue increases in Wake Forest’s research funding portfolio, across schools and disciplines.
- Facilitate interdisciplinary engagement across the University.
- Oversee and evaluate many aspects of the scholarly enterprise, including the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs, university-wide centers and institutes, Institutional Review Board, and the Research Advisory Council.
- Enhance the University’s ability to recruit and retain teacher-scholars of national prominence.
- Partner with University Advancement to attract support for (and enhance visibility of) faculty research and creative inquiry.
- Provide faculty and academic leadership with information about federal funding opportunities, research compliance, institutional review requirements, and related matters.
Required Education, Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Ability to engage faculty across disciplines (humanities, arts, sciences, professional schools) and other university leaders by establishing strong, collaborative relationships.
- Effective collaborator with a wide range of constituents in a diverse community; able to lead initiatives and programs when necessary.
- Experience-based understanding of research/scholarship across disciplines, including program management requirements and development needs.
- Knowledge of funding agencies and opportunities (including experience with grants preparation and management), technology licensing/commercialization, and the ability to skillfully navigate the fast-changing landscape of research funding.
- Skill in strategic planning, managing resources, and establishing priorities.
- Advanced communication, presentation, data-analysis, and problem-solving skills.
- Willingness to help solicit resources in support of faculty research and scholarly aims Essential Functions.
- Earned doctorate.
- Demonstrated record of outstanding scholarship and teaching to warrant the rank of Associate Professor or Professor.
Preferred Education, Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- At least three years of administrative experience at the department or university level.
- Works with minimal supervision.
- Reports to the Provost.
Note: This position profile identifies the key responsibilities and expectations for performance. It cannot encompass all specific job tasks that an employee may be required to perform. Employees are required to follow any other job-related instructions and perform job-related duties as may be reasonably assigned by his/her supervisor.
In order to provide a safe and productive learning and living community, Wake Forest University conducts background investigations for all final candidates being considered for employment.
Wake Forest University welcomes and encourages diversity and inclusion and seeks applications from women and members of underrepresented groups. It seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce to maintain the excellence of the University.