This position provides administrative and secretarial support, reception, financial, and event-planning assistance for the Department of Classics and the Program in Modern Greek Studies. Specific duties include staffing the main office in one of our two buildings and day-to-day operations of the department; taking the lead role in event planning of conferences, lectures, colloquia, receptions and other departmental and program activities; maintaining the Classics Department and the Program in Modern Greek Studies websites, email accounts, and Facebook account; providing support for courses, the undergraduate concentration, and the Couch Memorial Library; and additional secretarial/administrative duties as assigned, based on department need. This position also serves the role of financial coordinator, initiating department financial business processes in Workday.
The position provides effective support to a wide range of individuals, such as administrative or other academic departments, students with questions, faculty with demanding priorities, distinguished visitors, and prospective students and parents seeking information about our department.
- High school diploma and 3-5 years of administrative office experience, with some college preferred.
- Experience in an academic environment strongly preferred.
- Computer skills/experience in: Microsoft Office Suite, Filemaker, Adobe In-design and website management programs.
- Must be comfortable working with technology, and willing to stay abreast of changing technologies.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Ability and flexibility to handle competing priorities in a multi-task environment where interruptions are frequent
- Strong oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Demonstrated attention to detail and proofreading skills
- The ability to work independently, highly professional demeanor, the ability to maintain confidentiality, and sensitivity to diverse populations.
This is a full time position, scheduled to work eleven months. Some evening hours are required to staff lectures.
Applicants are asked to submit a cover letter and resume with their application.
Criminal background check required
Recruiting Start Date:2017-02-13-08:00
Job Posting Title:Administrative Assistant
Time Type:Full time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:37.5
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any staff position at Brown University you must submit an application form for each position for which you believe you are qualified. Applications are not kept on file for future positions. Please include a cover letter and resume with each position application.
Still Have Questions?
If you have any questions you may contact email@example.com.
Brown University is an E-Verify Employer.
Brown University is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive academic global community; as an EEO/AA employer, Brown considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, race, protected veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.