About Virginia Tech:
Virginia Tech is a public land-grant university, committed to teaching and learning, research, and outreach to the Commonwealth of Virginia, the nation, and the world. Building on its motto of Ut Prosim (that I may serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to InclusiveVT—serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. We seek candidates who adopt and practice the Principles of Community, which are fundamental to our on-going efforts to increase access and inclusion, and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth for all of its members. Virginia Tech actively seeks a broad spectrum of candidates to join our community in preparing leaders for the world.
Executive Assistant provides high quality executive support to the Dean and performs a broad range of administrative support duties as required to maintain office functionality. This position schedules, maintains, and coordinates the dean's calendar; ensures that the dean is prepared and on schedule at all times; serves as the contact point between the Dean and the Virginia Tech administration, College administration, academic units, and other College of Science constituencies; handles all conversations and information confidentially to maintain propriety and integrity when dealing with faculty, staff, and clients; and develops high quality PowerPoint presentations, flyers, and brochures for special events. This position requires the ability to effectively interact with executive level administrators, government officials, business executives and faculty, with an understanding of protocol, political environment, implications, and confidentiality.
- Experience providing administrative support and/or working with a unit or senior level manager in an academic or professional office environment.
- Experience such as creating outgoing correspondence and reports demonstrating strong proficiency with current office software applications such as MS Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Experience with web applications such as Canvas.
- Must have a professional and service-oriented demeanor in all interactions with a diverse clientele.
- Flexibility to work in a highly-structured organization.
- Ability to understand and interpret the role of the Dean, anticipate needs and make independent decisions, and have a commitment to maintaining the integrity, responsiveness, and punctuality of the dean's office in working with all members of the College of Science community.
- Exceptional analytical, interpersonal, organizational, and communication skills.
- Ability to prepare executive communications, and manage a dynamic schedule for the Dean.
- Ability to prioritize tasks, establish goals, manage projects and meet deadlines.
- Ability to effectively provide guidance to others in administrative practices and procedures.
- Experience working in higher education providing administrative support at the senior management level.
- Considerable knowledge of university organizational structure.
- Experience with university and Commonwealth of Virginia policies and procedures related to travel, records management, and HokieMart.
- Experience with database management systems such as Banner and information warehouse Hyperion Performance Suite.
- Certified Administrative Professional certification or equivalent.
Employee Category: Staff (Salary)
Appointment Type: Regular
Percent Employment: Full-time
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, or veteran status; or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees, or applicants; or any other basis protected by law.
For inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies, contact the executive director for Equity and Access at 540-231-2010 or Virginia Tech, North End Center, Suite 2300 (0318), 300 Turner St. NW, Blacksburg, VA 24061.