About Virginia Tech:
Virginia Tech is a public land-grant university, committed to teaching and learning, research, and outreach to the Commonwealth of Virginia, the nation, and the world. Building on its motto of Ut Prosim (that I may serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to InclusiveVT—serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. We seek candidates who adopt and practice the Principles of Community, which are fundamental to our on-going efforts to increase access and inclusion, and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth for all of its members. Virginia Tech actively seeks a broad spectrum of candidates to join our community in preparing leaders for the world.
Administrative Assistant provides high quality executive support to the Associate Deans for Research and Graduate Studies, Strategic Initiatives, Undergraduate Programs, and Undergraduate Students. This position performs a broad range of administrative and executive duties as required to maintain office functionality, such as handling conversations and information confidentially to maintain propriety and integrity when dealing with faculty, staff, and clients, maintaining productive relationship with departmental graduate coordinators and graduate school, maintaining online graduate catalog, facilitating updates to college webmaster regarding research, graduate studies, outreach, and instruction, and organizing, scheduling, and coordinating visitor itineraries and special events.
- Experience providing administrative support in an executive or professional office environment.
- Proficiency with current office software applications such as word processing, spreadsheets, database management systems, electronic mail, and presentation applications.
- Must have a professional and service-oriented demeanor in all interactions with a diverse clientele.
- Fexibility to work in a highly-structured organization, and anticipate the needs of management and make independent decisions.
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, and communication skills, and ability to prepare executive communications.
- Ability to manage dynamic schedules, work in a fast-paced environment with changing priorities, and work with confidential matters.
- Ability to understand and work with university and state policies and procedures, and ability to use the web for research/information gathering.
- Experience working in higher education providing administrative support at the senior management level.
- Considerable knowledge of university organizational structure.
- Experience with university and Commonwealth of Virginia policies and procedures related to travel, records management, and HokieMart.
- Certified Administrative Professional certification or equivalent.
Employee Category: Staff (Salary)
Appointment Type: Regular
Percent Employment: Full-time
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, or veteran status; or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees, or applicants; or any other basis protected by law.
For inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies, contact the executive director for Equity and Access at 540-231-2010 or Virginia Tech, North End Center, Suite 2300 (0318), 300 Turner St. NW, Blacksburg, VA 24061.