SEIU Local 73 (Service Employees International Union)
Job Title: Data Manager and Analyst
Location: Chicago IL
SEIU Local 73 seek to fill a newly created Chicago based position of Data Manager to manage the union's data systems. The successful candidate will play an active role in supporting the union's organizing, representation, political programs, and the union's administrative operations. The Data Manager will be a key member of the staff and play a critical role in providing leaders of the union with the data and analysis that is critical to achieving Union's strategic goals.
Successful staff at SEIU Local 73 has a progressive orientation and can be nimble in shifting priorities to the changing needs of a growing, dynamic organization. The successful candidate for the position will have a passion for the mission of Local 73 and will be able to formulate a high level of analysis and reports that inform, the connect and align the administrative functions of the union to the Local's strategic goals.
About SEIU Local 73
With nearly 30,000 members, SEIU Local 73 has a proud history of raising standards for workers and their families. The Local represents service, technical, and professional workers in the public sector in Illinois and Indiana who are employed in state government, local government, school districts, publically funded social service agencies, colleges and universities.
Local 73 is committed to bettering the lives of working people through organizing workers to create a powerful voice on their job to win fair wages, meaningful benefits, a sustainable retirement, and job protection
Staff at Local 73 have a progressive orientation and are comfortable working in an environment where priorities often shift to serve the changing needs of a growing and dynamic organization.
SEIU Local 73 is affiliated with the Service Employees International Union (SEIU) with more than 2.2 million members in the US, Canada and Puerto Rico. Local 73 is united with those 2.2 million members in a shared belief in the dignity of workers and the value of their work and in a commitment to a more just and humane society.
Responsibilities Data Manager and Analyst
· Prepares detailed reports, analysis, and other documentation (graphs, charts, maps) for use in external organizing and internal organizing campaigns
· Serves are primary liaison and technical expert with database contractor, and data vendors, such as Catalist
· participates in SEIU network of data coordinators across the US and Canada
· Makes recommendations to Local Leaders, the Organizing Director and Division Directors on best practices with respect to data augmentation, storage and analysis
· Manage ad hoc analysis projects
· Oversight for the development of standards and protocols for union data management
· Insures that data is maintained in a manner necesssary to provide accurate lists and provide reports, lists, and other materials to support union campaigns
· Maintain security procedures to ensure safety and integrity of data and paper lists.
· Maintain user access; maintain user passwords, and procedures to ensure on site and off site backup of data.
· Import and export files between formats and programs such as Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Access, delimited text files, and a variety of file formats including utilizing e-mail and web based applications.
· Assist in writing training and operation materials. Train staff to access system generated reports necessary in their work. Train staff to produce small custom reports as needed.
· Center the locals work on developing and training new user interfaces including phone apps
· Other duties as assigned
Key Qualifications Required
· Salesforce Admin 2 certificaiton
· A bachelors degree in a related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience in an advocacy organization of similar size and complexity; labor union experience a plus
· Demonstrated experience in managing large amounts of data, importing and exporting data, implementing security systems and procedures, writing and training users to use technology
· A strong commitment to social justice and the goals and principles of our Union
· Ability to develop and carry out workplans with minimal supervision
· Ability to balance conflicting demands successfully to complete duties in a broad range of areas
· Ability to work well with people of varied backgrounds and experiences
· Ability to handle multiple “priority” projects simultaneously and meet established deadlines
· Ability to understand and adapt to new technologies and procedures
· Detail oriented with the ability to detect problem issues and raise them appropriately
· Demonstrated ability to work both independently and as a member of a team
· Excellent oral, written and listening communication skills; high degree of analytical skills
· Commitment and capacity to maintain the highest level of integrity, judgment, confidentiality and discretion in managing union information and resources
· Proficiency in Salesforce and MS Office
· Familiarity with organizing and political campaign strategies preferred.
The position is based in the Chicago headquarters of the union.
Long and irregular hours often required.
Minimal amount of travel and very occasional overnight travel may be required.
The position comes with a competitive salary based on experience and a package of benefits that includes paid holidays, vacations, fully paid health benefits including health, dental, vision and prescription drug benefits. All staff in the union is participants in a defined benefit pension plan fully paid by the employer.
A resume is required for all applications and a cover letter is highly suggested. Your cover letter should explain your reason for wanting to work for us, an example of how you demonstrated success in a similar position and a description of how this position fits into your long-term career plan.
SEIU Local 73 is an Equal Opportunity Employer.