Major Gift Officer, Institutional Advancement
About Westfield State University:
Westfield State University fosters intellectual curiosity, encourages critical thinking, inspires civic engagement, and promotes a global perspective. A public teaching institution offering quality programs in the liberal arts and sciences with complementing professional studies curricula, we are grounded in our founding principles of academic excellence and educating all in a diverse and welcoming community. Westfield State develops the knowledge, skills, and character essential for students to reach their full potential and become responsible leaders in society. We contribute to the economic, social, and cultural vitality of the region.
Westfield State University has been designated as a "Top Military Friendly College" by Advanced Military Education Magazine and one of the top 50 "Best Colleges for Veterans" as reported in U.S. News & World Report 2015 "Best Colleges" edition. It has also been awarded Best Regional Universities - North by U.S. News and World Report for the years 2012-2015, and is the only Massachusetts school, public or private, in the top 50 ranking of Best Online Degree Programs in 2014 and 2015. Westfield State offers twenty-seven undergraduate degrees, seven graduate degrees, and six online bachelor's degree completion programs.
Westfield State University is the most residential of the state universities in Massachusetts, with over 60% of our 5600 full-time undergraduate students living on campus. The University is ideally situated on the edge of the Berkshire Mountains in western Massachusetts. The area offers a relatively low cost of living and a high quality of life. Hiking, canoeing, and ski areas are minutes away, yet the campus is just a half-hour from the thriving cultural centers of Northampton and Amherst, and about two to three hours from Boston and New York City.
Campus Title: Major Gift Officer
State Job Title: Associate Director
Department: Institutional Advancement
Job Code: HA6000
FLSA Status: Exempt
Funding: State Funds (7115-0100)
Bargaining Unit: APA
Job Type: Full Time
Timeframe: 52 Weeks
Shift: 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Regular Days Off: Saturday, Sunday
Supervision Received: The Major Gift Officer reports to the Vice President, Institutional Advancement
Supervision Exercised: None
Salary: $60,000 - $75,000 commensurate with experience and qualifications
The department of Institutional Advancement seek applicants for a Major Gifts Officer. Reporting directly to the VP of Institutional Advancement, the Major Gift Officer works to build and enhance relationships with all constituents for the purpose of increasing financial support to Westfield State University. The successful candidate will provide outreach to all counties in the state and have the option to work remotely from home with a required weekly visit to campus.
General Statement of Duties:
The Major Gift Officer is responsible for identifying, cultivating, and soliciting new prospects, and stewarding current donors toward higher commitments and planned gifts. He/she will work with prospective donors to determine their philanthropic interest related to the university's fundraising goals through the Annual Fund, Endowment, Capital and Planned Giving Programs. The Major Gift Officer will manage a prospect pool of alumni, corporate partners, and other newly identified prospective donors for an estimated total of 120. Management of Major gifts means productive results from prospect identification,education,face-to-face solicitation and stewardship.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Including but not limited to:
1. Manage a personal portfolio of approximately 100-125 leadership, alumni and friend prospects and donors to ensure that timely steps are taken toward cultivation, solicitation and closure.
2. Make assessment calls, cultivate, solicit, provide recognition and steward appropriate leadership and major gifts, with an emphasis on gifts at the $8,000 - $10,000 level and above. Work with donors on multiple giving methods including current and deferred giving, non-cash gifts, and related tax implications.
3. Build relationships with donors and coordinate solicitation as appropriate with Institutional Advancement leadership staff.
4. Identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward major gift and planned giving donors and prospects with a particular focus on individual outright major gifts.
5. Develop, recruit, and engage the President, Trustees, Vice Presidents, Deans, faculty, alumni and staff to assist in major and planned giving cultivation and solicitation activities.
6. Collaborate with Development colleagues on identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship strategies for major and planned giving prospects.
7. Prepare planned gift proposals and facilitate planned giving agreements with outside advisors.
8. Develop and maintain a thorough working knowledge of Westfield State University's academic and strategic programs in order to effectively articulate the University's priorities and fundraising objectives to donors.
9. Prepare and submit goals that contain specific timelines, projected results, and outcomes.
10. Document all activity in Raiser's Edge database.
11. Attend all appropriate Institutional Advancement meetings as well as other university related events.
12. Work closely with the Alumni/Advancement staff to ensure appropriate coordination and communication.
13. Collaborate/review on a monthly basis with VP of Institutional Advancement on prospects and strategic plans.
14. Perform other duties as assigned by the VP of Institutional Advancement.
- Bachelor's Degree; Master's Degree preferred.
- Three - five years front line fundraising experience working in a comprehensive Institutional or University Advancement office.
- Significant major gift and planned giving experience with a track record of successful solicitations at the highest levels, ideally within a higher education institution.
- Major gift and planned giving experience, working with both defined and non-defined constituencies.
- In-depth knowledge of planned giving vehicles.
- Successful track record of providing strategic direction, leadership and daily management of major giving programs.
- Superior organizational and time-management skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Experience working with Raiser's Edge fundraising database.
- Demonstrated success in personally cultivating, soliciting, closing and stewarding major and planned gifts from individuals. Proven ability to bring creativity and effective strategies to the major and planned gift pipeline.
- The ability to build bridges and strong collaborative relationships across a complex organization; political astuteness and agility.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and work autonomously under the significant pressure of multiple and sequential deadlines.
- Willingness to work some nights and weekends on an as-needed basis.
- Willingness to travel within the Commonwealth and throughout the United States when deemed necessary.
Westfield State University understands that persons with disabilities may need assistance with the job application process and/or with the interview process. For confidential assistance regarding disability accommodations, please contact Lawrence Johnson, the University's ADA Coordinator at (413) 572-8485.
Employment at Westfield State University is contingent upon a background check that is satisfactory to the University. Failure to provide written authorization for a background check will nullify the offer of employment.
An on-line application is required. Interested candidates should electronically attach the following documents:
- Cover letter
- Contact information for three references*
*Please provide the contact information for reference providers in the references section of the online application. An official transcript is required at the time of hire.
Application Deadline: Review of applications will begin February 13, 2017 and continue until finalists have been selected.
NOTE: If you need assistance completing your application please contact our online Help Desk. The link to the help desk can be found at the top of the page via Contact Us.
Westfield State University provides equal access to employment opportunities for all applicants, regardless of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, age, disability or veteran status in compliance with all applicable laws, regulations and policies.
To apply, visit https://westfield.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=81373
Copyright ©2015 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency