Description: The Bolles School seeks a dynamic, creative individual to serve as the Library Media Specialist on our Upper School campus. This position will commence with the 2017-18 academic year.
Upper School represents the culmination of all which Bolles offers in educational excellence and college preparation. A highly committed faculty, consisting of teachers who are recognized as educational leaders in their subjects, presents a curriculum which promotes individual motivation and makes learning a stimulating experience. Within this accelerated academic environment, there are stirring moments of discovery and victories over difficult assignments. Each student is offered the opportunity to excel in some way by exploring personal interests and abilities. Challenging each student to feel that level of personal satisfaction is the goal of all those involved in Upper School education.
The Bolles School searches worldwide for teachers who demonstrate expertise in their field of study.
Purpose: Responsible for providing library information and technology resources to the upper school community of students, faculty, and administration.
- Effectively plans the school library program to meet identified needs of upper school division
- Implements and interprets library policies and procedures for students, faculty and staff
- Responsible for the maintenance of a student-centered, friendly environment conducive to learning
- Assists in collection, development and management of books, databases, periodicals, e-books and other resources
- Coordinates student, faculty and staff requests and provides access to resources within and beyond the school
- Performs circulation desk duties, readers’ advisory and reference services for students, faculty and staff
- Monitors and maintains acceptable student behavior
- Introduces and familiarizes faculty and students with the latest in information and technology resources and encourages the ethical and judicious use of these resources
- Provides professional development for faculty in the use of information and digital literacy tools, offering workshops and individual guidance
- Maintains a current awareness of young adult literature and services, as well as professional trends, methods, and ethics
- Works collaboratively to design, develop and implement programs to encourage reading for enjoyment and information
- Participates in professional activities, organizations, conferences and committees for both the library and educational communities in order to maintain and improve professional competence
- Keeps current in professional practices and developments, information technologies, and educational research applicable to the library program and the school as a whole
- Manages the budget for the upper school library including expected purchases and maintenance expenses on existing equipment
- Provides group instruction and individual user guidance for students in location of resources and use of research techniques
- Consults and plans with teachers on the appropriate use and scheduling of materials for classroom instruction and or library technology resources used by students
- Manages the acquisition, processing, organization, distribution, maintenance, and inventory of resources
- Develops research pathfinders and other teaching tools to help students become more efficient in finding material both in books and on the internet
- Manages the media center, audio-visual equipment and other materials as required
- Supervises and evaluates two Library Assistants
- Collaborates with the elementary & middle school Librarians for a cohesive K-12 library program