Department: Facilities Management
Facilities GIS Technician
The George Mason University Facilities Management Department invites applications for a Facilities GIS Technician. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Mason's academic and culturally inclusive environment.
The primary responsibility of this position is to support Mason and its Facilities Department's efforts to maintain, update and expand the Facilities Geographic Information Systems (GIS). In addition, this position will:
- Collect and import utility and infrastructure data with a variety of methods, including: archives records, GPS equipment, publically accessible data, and in cooperation with other organizations;
- Be responsible for generating outputs using GIS and computer-aided design (CAD) systems for inspectors, project managers, and other facility-related positions within the university;
- Manage the university's online Esri ArcGIS account;
- Assist in supervising interns;
- As needed, perform research within the archives to provide facility information to technicians, architects, managers, and others as required;
- Search proprietary facilities databases such as Facility Inventory Condition
and Assessment System (FICAS), VFA and Maintenance Direct to analyze facility needs, check on the status of submitted work requirements, and assemble information and reports for managerial analysis;
- Generate reports based on building, building system, financial requirement, life-cycle, or other metrics as required;
- Assist in financial planning and cost analysis, and design methods to ensure quality and consistency of service from the archives for GIS-related information; and
- Be responsible for a various general day-to-day administrative functions required to keep the archives/GIS and FCAP (Facilities Condition Assessment Program) program operating efficiently and effectively.
- Demonstrated experience working with ArcGIS software and extensions;
- Strong understanding of cartographic principles, spatial data concepts, projection systems, data management, digital map production, hard copy presentations and quality assurance/quality control;
- Demonstrated experience working with ArcGIS 10.x or higher, including desktop extensions (Spatial Analyst, 3d Analyst, etc.);
- Working experience using ArcGIS Online to develop solutions for field staff;
- Ability to analyze and interpret data from many sources, including field data and online data sources;
- Ability to create high-quality cartographic products suitable for client deliverables;
- Ability to effectively collect, process and evaluate GPS data; and
- Knowledge of ArcSDE (Esri Geodatabase design structure and management); as well as general database knowledge, including the manipulation of tabular data in GIS, summarizing, joining and linking related data.
- Python scripting and general application development are desired;
- EQuIS (Environmental Quality Information System) Database desired; and
- AutoCAD in environmental applications desired.
Salary: Commensurate with education and experience.
Criminal Background Check: Standard Background Check
Mason Ad Statement:
Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report “Up and Coming” spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Mason’s diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number 01243z at http://jobs.gmu.edu by February 28, 2017; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume and a list of three professional references with contact information.
George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.