| Company Overview:|
At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we’re not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we’re driving excellence and improving outcomes.
For the 27th year, MSK has been named a top hospital for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. We are proud to be on Becker’s Healthcare list as one of the 150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare in 2016, as well as Glassdoor’s annual Employees’ Choice Awards 2017. We’re treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
Shift Schedule: Monday- Friday 9am -5pm, be flexible to 10am-6pm when necessary.
Pathology Office Assistant I:
Main Function: To log incoming specimens which arrive in the Cytogenetics Laboratory into the pathology computer network (CoPath), assist in the maintenance of quality control for reports and all data entry pertaining to patients' records, and assist laboratory in the preparation of samples for reference laboratory testing. Preparing reports from pathology database systems and route to applicable attending for review and sign-out within established parameters and formatting protocols.
Accessioning Specimen Material
- Enter patient data and specimen data information into the laboratory information system to assign the specimen to the correct patient. Examine submitted materials/specimens (blood, bone marrow, and pathology glass slides/paraffin blocks) and accompanying requisitions and reports for completeness and verifies the patient’s identity before accessioning specimens.
- File all submitted slides and blocks until returned.
- Returns requested consultation slides, blocks, etc.
- Maintain record and send letters for the return of slides as necessary.
- Maintain up-to date records of pathology reports, specimen materials and cases marked for quality assurance.
- Perform appropriate quality control activities to assure accuracy of data entered.
- Check for accuracy.
- Check for errors/ making corrections.
- Check that the specimen description and accession number appears accurately.
Transcription of Cytogenetics Reports
- Prepare Cytogenetics Final Reports for In-house Tests (FISH, Karyotyping and SNP Array) and Reference Lab Send Out (s).
- Produce accurate medical diagnostic report from handwritten material and web based portal sign outs.
- Type final diagnosis and addendum reports for in-house Cytogenetics tests.
- Word Processing / Data Entry.
- Review Cytogenetics sign out worksheets and using quick text (gen codes) appropriately based on Cytogenetics assay; using transcription web portal for SNP Array cases.
- Enter accurate billing fee codes.
- Proofread all information for routine grammar and spelling errors.
- Follow up on missing or unclear information by contacting pathologist/fellow or Supervisor and Managers.
- Complete all reports within established timeframe and places in pathologists’ queue for sign-out in CoPath
- Use appropriate reference manuals to verify accuracy (i.e. medical dictionary).
- Prepare Cytogenetics final reports involves entering patient diagnosis, test performed, and billing information in pathology computer system.
- Create neat, accurate, well-formatted documents.
- Add the name of technologist who processed the specimen.
- Follow up on missing or unclear information by contacting fellow/lab director or Supervisor and Managers.
- Type final diagnosis for reference lab report (s).
- Use reference lab template(s) provided by Supervisor
- Adhere to physicians' instructions and Center policies in relation to the release of any patient information.
- Attend periodic administrative lab meetings.
- Carry out job responsibilities related to billing in an accurate and timely manner and in accordance will all applicable departmental and institutional policies and procedures.
- Participates in and promotes the prevention, detection, and resolution of instances of noncompliance with departmental and institutional billing policies and procedures.
Administrative Support to the Cytogenetics Laboratory
- Provide clerical and administrative coverage.
- Provide diversified secretarial services, and other personnel within the Cytogenetics Laboratory, to include: miscellaneous typing, providing phone coverage, maintaining confidential files, and organizing material for routine and special projects.
- Answer assigned telephone lines clearly and distinctly with name of department and appropriate staff;
- Use correct telephone techniques and procedures when receiving and making calls to physicians and patients.
- Route calls immediately to the individual requested and take messages as necessary.
- Correctly filing of slides and/or blocks into storage cabinets.
- Assume other administrative support responsibilities for the service as needed.
- HS Diploma or equivalent/ Bachelors highly preferred
- 2-3 years of job-related experience; strong data entry in a laboratory environment
- At least 1-2 years experience in Accessioning and Transcription duties within a laboratory environment
MSK is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran status or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.