| Company Overview:|
At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we’re not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we’re driving excellence and improving outcomes.
For the 27th year, MSK has been named a top hospital for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. We are proud to be on Becker’s Healthcare list as one of the 150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare in 2016, as well as Glassdoor’s annual Employees’ Choice Awards 2017. We’re treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
The Department of Pathology consists of disease-specific pathologists and researchers with expertise in a range of solid tumor types and concerned with diseases of the blood and of hematopoietic and lymphoid tissue such as hematopathology. Our pathologists collaborate with other specialists to customize each patient’s treatment based on his or her individual diagnosis. Hematopathology and precision medicine are increasingly vital components of the work we do. Hematopathology Service is seeking a Pathology Office Assistant who will provide administrative support for the Pathologists’ clinical and research activity.
- Dedicated to providing superior service, producing quality work products, and maintaining an atmosphere of partnership and continuous improvement
- Able to work effectively in an energizing environment, meet deadlines, handle multiple tasks, and respond to changing priorities
- Capable of performing clerical tasks with a high degree of accuracy and setting priorities to see projects through completion
- An independent worker who is also a collaborative team member
- Passionate about cancer research and clinical care
- Abstract data relevant to specific studies under evaluation by the pathologist.
- Contact clinicians/RSAs in accordance with study requirements, to obtain and/or clarify relevant data.
- Assist pathologist in compiling data for the preparation of manuscripts for publication. Format data for submission as necessary.
- Research and compile data from pathology computer system and various libraries for presentation at conferences, staff meetings, workshops and lectures.
- Assist fellows with assigned research projects.
- Establish and maintain database of abstracts, reference card file of correspondence. and bibliographies.
- IRB and HBUC submissions for projects per fellow/pathologists instructions.
- Proofread all documents prior to submission and assure correct grammar, spelling and usage.
- Uses appropriate reference manuals to verify accuracy (medical dictionary).
- Documents slides/blocks use for specific research projects.
- Provide administrative support as needed for pathologists
- Prepares slides for clinical conferences, presentations using PowerPoint.
- Data entry into spreadsheets.
- Help drive hemepath daily workflow and maintain workflow organization.
- Assist with general requests from pathologists/fellows.
- Collation of bone marrow biopsy and aspirate stained slides.
- Follow up with order stains and request from the pathologists.
- Answer phone inquiries and triage calls appropriately.
- Manage attending’s calendars and schedules.
- Assist with travel authorizations.
- Organize and prepare for hemepath conferences for fellows and pathologists.
- Provides submitted material for review and return of slides to the outside institutions.
- High school degree required
- Bachelor’s degree perfered in biological sciences.
- Knowledge of computer software (Microsoft Excel, Power Point; Word and Internet library resource).
- Excellent typing and communication skills.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to prioritize work.
- Excellent organizational skills.
In order to be considered for Pathologist Office Assistant here at MSK, you will be required to pass an online Administrative Assessment. When applying to this position, you will be prompted to take the assessment. It takes about 45 minutes to complete. Please note that you will have 48 hours to complete this test.
MSK is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran status or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.