| EOE Statement:|
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
This position is full-time and works approximately 37.5 hours per week.
Department Name/Job Location:
This position is in the Office of Public Affairs. This position is for the Danforth Campus.
The director of strategic initiatives will help increase the capacity and capability of Washington University’s Office of Public Affairs to develop, execute, and evaluate comprehensive, integrated communications plans that advance key strategic undertakings of the university, including but not limited to global initiatives, diversity and inclusion efforts, sustainability programs, and innovation and entrepreneurship advancements. This position combines the ability to contribute to the development of “big” idea/creative platforms and programs, and to execute them in ways that advance and leverage the Washington University brand to achieve strategic initiatives.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Communications Planning
Work collaboratively with campus partners to develop communications plans to support the university’s key strategic initiatives. Accurately analyze situations, opportunities and issues related to various initiatives and identify solutions. Planning activities may include facilitating brainstorm and ideation sessions with key stakeholders, segmenting audiences, setting measurable objectives, developing budgets, determining methods of evaluation, and making recommendations regarding resource allocation (human and financial) to ensure plans are executed in a timely way.
- Plan Implementation
Serve as the lead manager for the execution of strategic communications plans associated with key university initiatives. Tactics may include, but are not limited to, collateral development, paid and earned media, and online and electronic communications, including social media. Monitor project plans and advise on progress, potential issues, obstacles, conflicts and/or challenges. Collaborate with project teams to review project success and areas of improvement.
- Content Development
Synthesize and translate complex topics and issues in clear, concise, and compelling ways. Ability to modify content as appropriate for a range of communications channels. Work collaboratively with the Coordinator for Strategic Communications, to manage associated web properties and other digital channels associated with strategic initiatives.
- Knowledge management
Stay on top of latest trends and developments related not only to communications best practices, but also to the focus of the strategic initiatives themselves.
- Other Duties As Assigned
- Master's degree with ten years of progressive responsibility in the area of strategic communications and/or strategic initiatives management.
- Consulting/agency experience a plus, as is media relations expertise.
- Bachelor’s degree with five years of progressive responsibility in the area of strategic, integrated communications.
- Candidates should demonstrate a track record of creativity and effectiveness in developing and executing business results and an understanding of best practices.
- Demonstrated ability to develop, manage, and lead teams of individuals who have varied backgrounds and areas of experience.
- The ideal candidate is a creative, service-oriented leader with outstanding communications acumen; superior writing, planning and presentation abilities;
- Proven track record of developing and executing results-oriented integrated communications plans in a highly collaborative, team-oriented environment.
- The individual should have superior critical thinking and analytical skills, as well as comfort with taking initiative and managing competing organizational and departmental priorities. Good judgment, discretion, tact and diplomacy skills are a must, as is the ability to work easily with senior leaders across the university. Comfortable with providing and receiving feedback.
- This individual must have a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion, and an ability to manage and navigate in a cross-cultural environment. Energy, sense of humor, and innovative spirit are a must, as are exceptional relationship development skills. Proficiency in Microsoft Office products, including Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook.
The hiring range for this position is $57,300 - $74,529 annually.
-Retirement Savings Plan
-Tuition benefits for employee, spouse and dependent children
-Free Metro Link/ Bus pass
-Free Life Insurance
-Health, Dental, Vision
-Health Savings Accounts (HSA)
-Long Term Disability Insurance
-Flex Spending Plan
Human Resources website (hr.wustl.edu)
Internal Applicant Instruction:
Please attach a copy of your most current signed performance evaluation (completed within the last 18 months) to your online account. If you have not received a performance evaluation, you may provide two current signed letters of recommendation (written within the last 18 months), preferably to include one letter from either a current or recent former supervisor. To attach these documents, go to: My Career Tools, Add Attachment, Attachment Type – Performance Reviews or Letters of Recommendation.