NYU Langone Medical Center, a world-class, patient-centered, integrated, academic medical center, is one of the nation's premier centers for excellence in clinical care, biomedical research and medical education. Located in the heart of Manhattan, NYU Langone is composed of four hospitals - Tisch Hospital, its flagship acute care facility; Rusk Rehabilitation; the Hospital for Joint Diseases, one of only five hospitals in the nation dedicated to orthopaedics and rheumatology; and Hassenfeld Children's Hospital, a comprehensive pediatric hospital supporting a full array of children's health services across the medical center - plus the NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. The medical center's tri-fold mission to serve, teach and discover is achieved 365 days a year through the seamless integration of a culture devoted to excellence in patient care, education and research. For more information, go to www.NYULMC.org.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Research Data Associate.
In this role, the successful candidate will work on clinical research projects studying patient- and family-centered factors affecting health behavior, transitions of care, and novel models of care in neurodegenerative disease (e.g., Parkinsons disease and atypical parkinsonian syndromes such as progressive supranuclear palsy and multiple system atrophy). The coordinator will work closely with the Interdisciplinary Home Visit Program for Advanced Parkinsons Disease team to study and expand the reach of this innovative program and model of care. Responsibilities include assisting with the recruitment, enrollment, chart review, data collection, data entry, grant submissions, and study coordination activities. Outstanding organizational skills and attention to detail will ensure the accurate execution of research protocols in accordance with Good Clinical Practices, HIPAA, and required obligations to the patient/subject, Principal Investigator, Research Team and sponsor. The data associate will interface directly with patients/subjects, caregivers, and the Principal Investigator. The data associate will establish liaisons with relevant parties at the Medical Center that may include: research nurses, program managers, clinical information systems and regulatory services. The data associate will assist in the initiation and management of research studies and their electronic databases. The data associate will attend weekly division and research team meetings, and biweekly lab meetings.
- Write template-defined progress notes that reflect study procedures.
- Record IRB approved subject study reimbursements according to standard operating procedures.
- Provide material for and/or initiate IRB correspondence.
- Aware of study regulatory status and keep an up to date copy of regulatory documents.
- Timely correction of queries.
- Maintain complete, accurate subject charts, case report forms, enrollment logs, and hospital records.
- Record, update, edit and maintain confidential information onto paperwork or web-based forms in a neat, accurate and timely manner and ensure subsequent data collection as required.
- Respond to requests in a timely manner, give/receive correct information, encourage required dialogue/follow- through.
- Secure accurate signatures and forward documents and/or forms to appropriate destination.
- Maintain files in an organized and up-to-date manner in order to facilitate their retrieval and maintains copies of all required on-going documentation and forms for the files.
- Completes filing in accordance with department procedures.
- Duplicates and collates materials upon request.
- Thorough knowledge of research study, study rationale, study subject, and clinical procedures associated with the study.
- Recruitment capabilities and the screening of potential patients/subjects for eligibility to the study.
- Assist with the informed consent process.
- Review all the elements of the screening process with the Principal Investigator.
- Collaborate with various personnel that may be involved in assisting with specific aspects in the study.
- Interact with patient/subject and families in a courteous and professional manner.
- Demonstrate knowledge of policies and procedures of the host institution where the study is being conducted and the regulatory requirements such as IRB and other approvals if necessary.
- Utilize available resources and established procedures to identify problems for quick resolution.
- Conduct study visits, obtain and document information within the time frame specified.
- Monitor any outward effects or issues regarding patient/subject safety and report this to the Principal Investigator, Physician and Research Nurse.
- Works with the principal investigators and research nurses on monitoring the overall conduct of the study.
- Works with the research nurses in reporting adverse events to the appropriate regulatory bodies as instructed.
- Tracks study milestones and patient accruals to help evaluate the progress of studies.
- Acts as internal auditors during quarterly internal audits for other studies.
- Reviews data with supervisor and provides reports to the data and safety monitoring committee.
- Gathers, Properly Packages, Stores and Transfers Slides, Samples and Other Important Materials.
- Coordinates the shipment and transfer of varied types of materials among the various departments and labs.
- Works with departments, labs, other personnel and areas as needed, to ensure the timely transfer of items and biological materials: study drugs; histology slides; serum, urine, blood samples, etc., using appropriate precautions at all times.
- Responds to requests in a timely manner, gives and receives correct information, encourages required dialog and follow through.
- Follow-ups to ensure that requested materials are delivered according to all appropriate procedures and policies.
- Collects, prepares, ships, and/or stores biological materials using universal precautions.
- Attends appropriate trainings in the proper handling and collection of biological substances and the packaging and shipment of samples as well as required IRB and HIPAA tutorial.
- May complete assessments on study subjects/patients per protocol (with proper training); continue to follow- through with items and patients as part of research study.
- May (if proper training has occurred) draw patients/subjects blood, perform EKG, and or take vital signs.
- May be required to travel to study initiation (that is, where sponsor teaches protocol to PI and CRC).
- Utilizes the necessary tools to ensure protocol compliance to conduct direct data research.
- Utilizes established methodologies to collect patient information for the research project(s).
- Extracts data for publications, or provides data collection from outside physicians offices.
- Formats and uses tools to facilitate data collection (e.g., calendars, schedules, tracking logs, etc).
- Ensures protocol compliance, that is, that standard steps regarding eligibility criteria, follow-up, and required documentation is consistently followed in the time frame specified.
- Secures accurate signatures and forwards documents and or forms to the appropriate destination based on prescribed policies and procedures.
- Compiles data and assists in consolidating and analyzing data for presentation to sponsoring and regulatory agencies.
- .Reviews any issues that deviate from standard policy and procedure with supervisor.
- .Reviews data with supervisor and then provides reports to all parties (e.g., data and safety monitoring committee, the principal investigator, sponsoring agency, etc.) on the progress of the study.
- Completes report forms and records following set protocol from the beginning of a research/study through the end.
- Utilizes appropriate sources, gathers and compiles data, statistics and other materials as needed.
- Inputs clinical and non-clinical data into the database and or case report forms; ensures data entered is correct and consistent with the source document and completed in a timely and organized manner.
- Suggests changes and additions to established data fields as needed, to supervisor.
- Processes incoming and outgoing documents by transcribing data, figures, statistics, codes and other information.
- Completes paperwork and forms in a neat, accurate, timely manner and ensure subsequent data collection as required.
- Maintains copies of all required on-going documentation and forms for the files.
- Reviews data to be entered, edits obvious errors and obtains missing information.
- Prepares requested data and numbers thoroughly and accurately for statistical analyses and required reporting.
- Ensures that information in computer database is accurate, entered and maintained on a timely basis.
- May perform library searches and retrieve reference materials from various sources using Medline and PubMed.
- May request articles from medical journals.
- May prepare presentation for lectures and symposium, utilizing PowerPoint for slides.
- Coordinates, Facilitates and Communicates with Staff and Non-Staff to Produce Required Results.
- Interfaces with varied persons, such as, School of Medicine and or Medical Center staff (e.g. physicians, nurses, CTO).
- Initiates and continues regular contact with patients; encourages visit reminders and compliance to research; ensures contact with patients and their families is courteous, effective, professional and cooperative.
- Works with research nurses as part of a team to coordinate clinical trials.
- Demonstrates knowledge of and follows proper clinical study processes within current policies and procedures.
- Recognizes and identifies problems, appropriately escalate issues to supervisor as needed.
- Utilizes available resources and established procedures in order to rectify problems, communicates all changes.
- Liaisons with monitors during site visits, providing them with assistance specific to the monitoring visit.
To qualify you must have a 1. Associates Degree or equivalent in neuroscience, psychology, biology, biomedical engineering, business administration, health care administration, or related field.2. Minimum of one year of progressive responsibility with project coordination and research, preferably in a combined research & clinical setting. Experience in patient-oriented research is highly desirable. 3. Proficiency in using various Microsoft Office applications such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook. Familiar with Internet applications. Experience with Epic electronic medical record is highly desirable.4. 6. Effective oral, written, communication, interpersonal skills.7. Ability to interface effectively with all levels of management.8. Ability to work within a team environment as well as independently.9. Commitment to continuous learning as required by department administration.10. Ability to operate research related equipment11. Ability to work and make decisions independently.12. Time management skills, punctuality, and ability to multitask.13. Ability to identify, analyze and solve problems: Ability to work well under pressure.
Bachelor's Degree. Experience with library research tools, online medical databases, reference management software, and search strategies5. Experience with statistical analysis is highly desirable. Knowledge of basic medical terminology preferred.
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone Medical Center provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents. And just as our employees invest so much in us, we invest in our employees. We're pleased to have one of the most competitive compensation packages not only among New York's hospitals and healthcare institutions, but within the corporate sector as well. We begin with exceptional medical, dental, and drug coverage. We enhance this basic coverage with comprehensive wellness programs, and supplement those with retirement investment and benefits plans, and generous paid time off allowances. Add to that a very attractive tuition program, and you'll see just some of the ways that NYU Langone Medical Center demonstrates our commitment to our employees.
NYU Langone Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, military and veteran status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Medical Center's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal 'EEO is the law' poster or visit https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm for more information.