About Virginia Tech:
Virginia Tech is a public land-grant university, committed to teaching and learning, research, and outreach to the Commonwealth of Virginia, the nation, and the world. Building on its motto of Ut Prosim (that I may serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to InclusiveVT—serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. We seek candidates who adopt and practice the Principles of Community, which are fundamental to our on-going efforts to increase access and inclusion, and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth for all of its members. Virginia Tech actively seeks a broad spectrum of candidates to join our community in preparing leaders for the world.
This position will organize, develop, plan, promote, administer, and evaluate a comprehensive Intramural Sports program to meet the needs and expectations of the Virginia Tech community by providing opportunities for a diverse level of skills and competitive interests. Supervise the Intramural Sports coordinator and two graduate assistants. Supervise the recruitment, placement, training, evaluation, and motivation of student supervisors and office program assistants. The successful candidate will be open to the feasibility and possibility of a competitive sports model. The successful candidate will also be a part of the Recreational Sports Leadership team, helping provide overall direction to a robust recreation program while adhering to departmental values.
- Master's degree in Sport Management/Administration, Recreation, Business, or related field must be completed by the start date
- Demonstrated professional experience in a collegiate or community recreation program (two years of graduate assistant experience will be equivalent to one year of professional experience)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proven creative problem solving ability
- Demonstrated experience in student employee training and management
- Experience with IT systems that govern intramural programs (custom software, IMLeagues, Fusion, etc.)
- First Aid, CPR/AED, and Bloodborne Pathogen certified or the ability to obtain certifications
- Experience developing and delivering presentations to groups
- Experience supervising and training professional and/or graduate assistant staff
- Knowledge of assessment strategies and the ability to use data to drive decisions
- Experience developing and implementing policies and procedures
-Experience with public speaking/presentations
Employee Category: Administrative and Professional Faculty
Appointment Type: Regular
Tenure Status: Non-Tenure Track
Percent Employment: Full-time
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, or veteran status; or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees, or applicants; or any other basis protected by law.
For inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies, contact the executive director for Equity and Access at 540-231-2010 or Virginia Tech, North End Center, Suite 2300 (0318), 300 Turner St. NW, Blacksburg, VA 24061.
Review Date: 03/20/2017