| Standard Chartered is a leading international bank operating in some of the most dynamic markets in the world, in Asia, Africa and the Middle East. Our successful and sustainable business is built on doing tangible, long term good for our people, our customers and the communities we serve. |
- To provide legal and transactional support to the Trade business within Transaction Banking regionally for Greater China and Northeast Asia, including in Documentary Trade, Open Account Finance such as Receivables Purchase, Supply Chain Finance, Asset backed Lending and Trade Credit insurance.
- To assist in the provision of legal advisory, product and transactional support in trade, including support of Sales, Structured Trade Solutions team, Product Management, Trade Operations, country Legal teams
- To identify and ensure compliance with internal policies and dispensation procedures.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Responsible for legal advice and transactional support to deal teams in Transaction Banking, considerate of product and legal nuances and multi-jurisdictional implications as applicable.
- Working closely with Sales, Credit, Product, Trade Operations, Trade Credit Insurance, Country Legal and Documentation teams, sharing specialist knowledge and experience and best practices.
- Working closely with Product legal and/or country legal, and where relevant, managing external counsel.
- Agreements tend to be negotiated, requiring an insight into a variety of regulatory, legal, credit and risk management issues. The candidate must be able to effectively manage a challenging and changing portfolio of clients and bringing the technical lens of Trade and legal knowledge.
- Assure that legal risks are identified and mitigated, or are raised and risk-accepted by the relevant business or function(s), legal templates are developed, reviewed and signed-off and used for dealings with third parties with adequate protections and remedies to address end-to-end product risks, and ensure that transactions with third parties are valid and enforceable under the laws of all relevant jurisdictions.
- Drive the engagement with Legal in the region on new product developments/ global product launches and global template documentation, and expansion into new markets in the region.
- Monitor the external environment (for changes in law and regulations, shifting industry or market practices and litigation) affecting the Trade business.
- Manage effectively issues involving product related legal, regulatory and reputational risks, to deliver positive outcomes and to reduce regulatory incidents.
- Ensure consistency of approach and that minimum bank standards are met in providing advisory and transactional support, including negotiating and agreeing client documentation.
- Establish good communications with Product Legal specialists and Regional / country Legal & Compliance, including keeping informed of material local developments and risks.
Qualifications and Skills
- English/Common Law qualified lawyer with at least 10 years PQE
- Extensive experience in trade finance, including support of structured solutions, documentary trade, receivables finance/purchase/factoring and trade credit insurance
- In-depth knowledge of security structures and requirements
- In-depth knowledge of trade finance products such as documentary trade, receivables purchase and finance
- Knowledge of cross border transactions and their implications
- Excellent communication skills - written and verbal
- Strong analytical and problem solving abilities
- Good team player with ability to work independently
- Great organizational skills
- High attention to detail
- Interest in learning about other businesses within Transaction Banking, including Cash, Channels and Securities Services
How To Apply
You can search and view current opportunities across our organisation and apply immediately by visiting www.standardchartered.com and selecting Careers. To help speed up your application, please note the following:
- You will need to log in (or register if you are visiting our careers site for the first time) before you can apply for a specific role
- Some roles may require you to undertake an online talent assessment in addition to completing the application form (to facilitate this process it is preferable that you provide us with an email address as part of your contact information)
- We will ask you about your education, career history and skills and experience, it may be helpful to have this information at hand when completing your application
It usually takes 15 - 20 minutes to complete the application form; you can save your application at any time and return to complete it at your convenience.
The closing date for applications is 28/02/2017. Please note all closing dates are given in Hong Kong time (GMT + 8 hours). We aim to respond to successful applicants within four weeks and will keep a record or your application in our database so that we can contact you when suitable vacancies arise in future.
Third Party Applications
Please note: Applications from third parties are not accepted unless by invitation.
Diversity and Inclusion
Standard Chartered is committed to diversity and inclusion. We believe that a work environment which embraces diversity will enable us to get the best out of the broadest spectrum of people to sustain strong business performance and competitive advantage. By building an inclusive culture, each employee can develop a sense of belonging, and have the opportunity to maximise their personal potential.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Standard Chartered is an equal opportunity employer. We have a meritocratic culture where each individual employee is valued and respected for who they are as a person and for what they bring to the organisation.