Field Service Engineers within the Office of Information Technology (OIT) participate in data/telecom related project planning and process improvement, installation and repair of voice/data/wireless services and infrastructure, and analysis/troubleshooting of problems. Ideal candidates will have strong technical and interpersonal skills, a commitment to investing themselves in the work and creating strong professional relationships, and a desire to promote a respectful, inclusive and collaborative climate.
This is a day shift position with a standard 40 hour workweek and overtime eligibility. Minimal travel to other University of MN campuses may be required.
Hourly Salary Range: $28.60 - $33.52 (depends on qualifications)
This position is represented by a bargaining unit? AFSCME Technical. Dues or fair share deductions will be made.
Project Planning and Process Improvement
- Working in a team environment, analyze customers' current and future requirements and develop solutions that include cost and timeline estimates for labor, materials, and contracting services for voice/data/wireless.
- Adhere to University, OIT, and BICSI standards for these implementations.
- Modify and recommend changes to processes; recommend to management new test and measurement tools, techniques and processes.
- Oversee work performed by electricians and outside low voltage wiring contractors.
- Train and mentor peers.
- Complete special projects as assigned.
Installation and Repair of Voice, Data and Wireless Services
- Install and repair Voice, Data and Wireless copper and fiber cross-connect riser cable and station wires to predetermined grid location for the University community via an established service order process.
- Design/advise/monitor the layout of telecommunications closets for compliance to University cabling standards and/or ensure the exception process is being followed.
- Interface with other Network and Telecommunications Services staff, Tier 2 voice and data staff, the Customer Service Coordinators and existing customer base to ensure the proper installation of voice/data/wireless products and services.
Installation of Physical Voice/Data/Wireless Infrastructure
- Work with Network and Telecommunications Services staff, Tier 2 voice and data staff, and the Customer Service Coordinators to acquire and physically install equipment and software.
- Test all currently-supported data switches.
Analysis and Troubleshooting of Voice/Data/Wireless Hardware Problems
- Assess hardware and software status; operate and troubleshoot voice/data/wireless equipment and peripherals.
- Work with the Tier 2 voice and data staff to troubleshoot current and potential problems encountered during the installation process; utilize personal knowledge of common Voice, Data and Wireless equipment.
- Track and close trouble tickets using the current IT Service Management toolset.
Database and Documentation Updates
- Document all installation work utilizing the department’s established policies and procedures.
- Promptly update all pertinent information throughout the course of a work order all the way from initiation to completion.
- Audit current network connections and make appropriate changes.
- Change work orders, create cut sheets, close work orders, and work with Customer Service Coordinators pertaining to any issues about the database.
- Report all discrepancies encountered.