Middlesex Community College (MCC) employs over 1,000 people in full-time, part-time, faculty, professional administrative and support positions at campuses in both Lowell and Bedford. MCC is a dynamic institution, priding itself on the quality as well as the diversity of its programs. MCC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
We are also committed to the recruitment and retention of a diverse workforce that reflects the communities we serve. We are an affiliate of the National Coalition Building Institute. We have significantly increased the diversity of our faculty and staff over the last five years, and are one of Massachusetts colleges participating in the Commonwealth Compact whose mission is to establish Massachusetts as a uniquely inclusive, honest and supportive community of -- and for -- diverse people, to acknowledge our mixed history in this effort, and to face squarely the challenges that still need to be overcome, understanding that the rich promise of the region's growing diversity must be tapped fully if Boston and Massachusetts are to achieve their economic, civic and social potential.
Applications for employment are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, or veteran status. MCC strives for a faculty and staff that reflect its richly diverse community of students.
Middlesex Community College is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, religion, age, veteran status, genetic information, gender identity or sexual orientation in its programs and activities as required by Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and other applicable statutes and college policies. The College prohibits sexual harassment, including sexual violence. Inquiries or complaints concerning discrimination, harassment, retaliation or sexual violence shall be referred to the College's Affirmative Action and/or Title IX Coordinator, the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination, the Equal Employment Opportunities Commission or the United States Department of Education's Office for Civil Rights.
Prospective employees are encouraged to review the College's Annual Safety & Security Report, in compliance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, which can be found on the disclosure page of the College's website at: https://www.middlesex.mass.edu/disclosurestatements/campsecrpt.aspx
Title: Part-Time Retention Services Specialist
Unit: MCCC/MTA Part-Time Unit Professional, non-benefited, Grant Funded
Location: The Career Place, in Woburn, MA.
Reports To: Director of Youth Programs and Eligibility Coordinator
Date: February 14, 2017
The Career Place is a Massachusetts One Stop Career Center, managed by Middlesex Community College and located in Woburn. The Career Place is chartered by the Metro North Regional Employment Board in Cambridge. The center provides comprehensive employment and career services that are accessible, customer driven, and linked to the latest technology.
General Statement of Duties
The Retention Services Specialist is a part-time, 18 hours per week, non-benefited position that will provide services in both Woburn and Malden. Responsible for providing follow-up and retention services to individuals who have completed WIOA Adult and WIOA Dislocated Workers programs. These individuals (customers) will have participated in occupational training or intensive job search programs. This is a major emphasis of the new Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA). These services will be provided on both a group and individual basis. Evening hours will be an important part of the job requirements. This is a 10 month position, with the possibility of continuation if funds are available.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for following up with all individuals who have exited from WIOA Adults and WIOA Dislocated Workers programs throughout the year. This will initially be through email and phone calls; and then will lead into group activities and individual counseling focused on job retention and potentially job advancement.
- Planning and organizing Drop-In Sessions and Success Teams for the project participants. The Drop-in Sessions will be organized to provide regularly scheduled opportunities for employed participants to meet with the Retention Services Specialist one-to-one to discuss issues they are facing on the job. The Specialist will help participants with problem solving, planning for further skill development and potential advancement, and will provide referrals to other services when necessary to support worker success on the job. The Success Teams are a vehicle to provide participants with information and to promote group peer support.
- Performs administrative duties such as documenting all customer contact in the MOSES database, preparing case notes, reports, and email correspondence.
- Coordinate with the WIOA Adults Career Coach and the WIOA Dislocated Workers Career Coaches in terms of the progress of the individuals that have exited the programs that the Retention Services Specialist discovers.
- Develop and conduct group activities for the WIOA Adults and WIOA Dislocated Workers that have exited these programs and provide one-on-one assistance to these customers.
- In cooperation with the Business Services unit locate guest speakers from the employer sector who will assist by attending group activities from time-to-time.
- Bachelor's Degree in Counseling, Psychology, or closely related filed.
- A minimum of three (3) years experience and/or training that includes vocational counseling, vocational testing / assessment, vocational referrals, employment services, or career development / transition; or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- Experience in designing and conducting workshops and other group activities.
- Experience in providing one-to-one career counseling and coaching.
- Experience with individuals entering, re-entering, or currently in the workforce.
- Cultural awareness and competency demonstrated by working with and/or understanding individuals of diverse identities such as socioeconomic level, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, and veterans, including those individuals with different levels of academic preparation, and/or varying physical and learning abilities.
- Bilingual skills a plus.
- Valid drivers license and dependable transportation.
This is a Part-time, non-benefited, MCCC Unit Professional Position, Career Development Counselor. To view the classification specification for this position link to: Commonwealth of Massachusetts Classification Title Job Description To view the MCCC/MTA bargaining unit agreement link to http://www.mccc-union.org/CONTRACTS/Day_2015-2018/MCCC_BHE_Day_Contract_2015-2018_09716.pdf
Primary Location: The Career Place, in Woburn, MA and Malden, MA.
Salary: $27.60 per hour
Schedule: part-time, 18 hours per week. With work in both Woburn and Malden. Some evening work required. Expectation is 3-4 days per week, 4-6 hours per day.
Application Deadline : February 28, 2017
Start date: early March 2017
The College will not sponsor applicants for work visas.
Applicants interested in applying MUST submit the following documents via the online application:
1. Cover Letter
Follow the steps below.
After completing all of the steps below, please go back into the newly created account and double check that your resume, cover letter, application & disclosure forms were uploaded as requested and appear in the format you desire.
Middlesex Community College understands that persons with specific disabilities may need assistance with the job application process and/or with the interview process. For confidential assistance with the job application process, please contact the Affirmative Action Officer at 781-280-3536
If you have any questions follow the link to the Help Desk noted in the menu above to the left.